East Coast Piers Race

Dart 15 Chat
havajo
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

East Coast Piers Race

Post by havajo »

Hi There
There were 4 Sprint 15 in the East Coast Piers Race that competed in the Colne race last year.

It would be good to see more this year.

The East Coast Piers and Colne Point Race is on Sunday 8th July 2007

For more information see www.marconi-sc.org.uk

Look forward to seeing you there

Andy
alex955
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Piers Race

Post by alex955 »

Can somebody please help me out a little - my inexperience you know (or perhaps it's old age.....).

On the events page, the ECP race is listed and details how the Sprint 15's "usually sail a figure of eight race that lasts around an hour"

This event is not listed on the traveller series results table so I assume it's not part of the series.

Is it a full weekend of racing around the 'figure of eight' course or is it just (!!) the ECP race (or Colne Point in a 15)?

I've only been authorised by the EPO for two weekends away so as well as Saundersfoot I have to decide between the ECP weekend and Seasalter.

I've still a fair bit to learn, but still enjoying every dunking so far!
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Alex
On the east Coast Piers race weekend they do 2 different things
Saturday - round the cans racing near to the Marconi Club
Sunday - Long distance racing

Neither are part of our series but are good fun to do.
Be careful to read the requirements carefully. You need to carry flares which you need to buy ahead of time and cannot be posted. The Grafham Chandlery do not keep them. You may be OK at QMSC but you do need to plan ahead.

Cheers
Bob Carter
alex955
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Post by alex955 »

Thanks Bob,

I had a quick chat with Gordon at QMSC this morning before going out for a fun blast around the place.

I had noticed the requirements for the ECP race - flares, compass, 10m tow line etc etc. and although I can lay my hands on these I think that Seasalter is going to benefit my pursuit of boatspeed a little more! I just need practice time around other boats so as much as I'd like to go I think I'll have to postpone the ECP until next year's event.

Thanks again.
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Seasalter

Post by Steve Willis »

Alex,

We will have quite a range of skill levels at Seasalter and several very experienced people who will be happy to talk through any queries you have ashore. At present I am hoping that we will have about 12 of our boats out and some of those are in their first season on the Sprint 15.

We are all struggling to get near Kevin Dutch but that will be a miracle - in F6-7 yesterday and two up with a prospective member at our Open Day he overtook a Dart 18 on full song on a reach.

We also do a long distance Open event (2nd September - Open Fowley) for all classes. It ia a straight line course up the Swale estuary and back (26 km straight line distance). So if you like our place and want another trip out later in the year you could try that.

We also welcome visiting sailors to come and join in with club sailing - camping in the boats field.

Hope you can make it for the TT at least.

Steve
havajo
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

East Coast Piers Race

Post by havajo »

Congratulations to Jenny Ball for winning the Colne race of the east coast piers race.

See her report.

results available on the Marconi Web site:
For interest:
24 boats entered; Hurricane, Hobies (incl. Fx1); Shadow; Dart 16' Dart 18 and Sprint 15's.

From Grafham, Island sailing club, Isle of Sheppy, Rutland, Queen Mary and Marconi.

Andy