Driving Directions in Events pages

Dart 15 Chat
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Driving Directions in Events pages

Post by Martin Searle »

Folks,

I've added in a new feature Driving Directions on the events infomation page. What you need to do is enter your lat\lon co-ordinate in the form lat , lon into the from box and then click Get Directions, you should see the mini map change to show the start address and the destination and a list of route instructions should appear.

You can get your lat\lon co-ordinates using the Club Map page:

1) simply click in your addresses general vacinity,
2) zoom in using the + button on the map and centre it on your address by clicking on the map.
3) Once centred, copy the co-ordinates displayed in the right hand pane into the clipboard.
4) Then goto the event page and paste them in. Click Get Directions to save them to the site and get your route.

The site will remember your co-ordinates for next time so this should be a one time operation but you can change them at anytime by repeating the above.

I have also added the terain view to the main clubs map so you can view the topography of the areas you are visiting.

Have fun,

Martin S.

PS Try routing from somewhere else, I tried "Paris, France" and it plotted routes ok.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Ex Seasalter SC Webmaster
RYA Regional Race Officer (South East Region) (Expired)
RYA Club Race Coach (Expired)
RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor (Expired)
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Looks great - well done. It works fine for my Stevenage address. While I was testing it I poggled around a number of the Clubs and scanned down to the maximum magnification in the satellite mode. All I tried have now got the satelite picture so that you can see individual boats at the Clubs.
The precision of you placing the symbols is superb. On most clubs (eg Grafham, Carsington, Marconi, Gurnard, etc) it sits on top of the Club house. On a few (eg. Shanklin and Thorpe Bay) you have missed the clubhouse but got the dinghy park. I'm surprised that the vocal club (Shanklin) have not pointed out that you have got the wrong building. They must be asleep!!!!

I was amused to see that you have added Mooredale Sailing Club in Toronto (No Sprint 15s but that is where George (Carter) sails) and Hong Kong. We have a few Sprint 15s at Hong Kong and one of them (Gabriel Kicks) is contemplating coming for the National Championships at Thorpe Bay. If he does this & George comes back from Toronto to defend his crown that will be the most widespread competion we have ever had.

An last reckoning we also had a Sprint 15 at Singapore (Keith Fletcher from memory) plus quite a few on the continent. They are made in Johannesburg where they have a few but expect to market it across South Africa so we could add some Clubs there soon. Nick Taylor from Carsington took 1901 to the USA. If some of these own up to where they sail we could make it even more international.
Cheers
Bob
Last edited by Bob Carter on Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Driving Directions

Post by Martin Searle »

Although you can't plot a driving route from Cape Town, SA to Seasalter, UK since it only works within Europe.

Thanks! I spent a few hours a couple of months back fine tuning the locations using the satellite maps and made a few guesses about 1 or 2 - presence of the right sort of boat in the vincinity of where I thought it was.

Moordale is in there because of the Nationals Scoring System in development since I had to set a home club for George to the one he used at the nationals (although I doubt the accuracy of the location its the nearest one to the address I found for it on the web) and the two systems are linked. I put Hong Kong in there because I found an old article in my back issues of the magazine about Dart 15's in HK.

I'm always willing to add in more countries and/or clubs to the club database, it would be handy to be given the lat\lon co-ordinates of any new entry to save time along with Postal address, Web Address. Email the webmaster.

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Springbok
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Springbok »

Since we seem to branching out internationally, here are the co-ordinates for Stilbaai Yacht Club on the Vaal Dam in South Africa.

(-26.836473702773943, 28.175050020217895)

This is the "home" of the Sprint 15 in SA, as well as the others built by Collins Fibreglass Plastics - eg Dart 18, Tornado and Halcat.
Spark 272
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Martin Searle »

Springbok wrote:Since we seem to branching out internationally, here are the co-ordinates for Stilbaai Yacht Club on the Vaal Dam in South Africa.

This is the "home" of the Sprint 15 in SA, as well as the others built by Collins Fibreglass Plastics - eg Dart 18, Tornado and Halcat.
Hi,

Added in that entry

Thanks,

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Driving Directions

Post by Bob Carter »

Martin Searle wrote:
Moordale is in there because of the Nationals Scoring System in development since I had to set a home club for George to the one he used at the nationals (although I doubt the accuracy of the location its the nearest one to the address I found for it on the web) and the two systems are linked.

Martin S.
Hi Martin. Yes you have missed Mooredale by a little bit. You need to go North to the 3rd Jetty. You can't miss it when you scan in close on the Satellite picture. It is packed solid with about 20 Bathtubs (Albacores) - nothing sleak & streamlined like a Sprint 15!! :lol:
Last edited by Bob Carter on Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Springbok wrote:Since we seem to branching out internationally, here are the co-ordinates for Stilbaai Yacht Club on the Vaal Dam in South Africa.

Hey that is great. We will fool the World that we are an International Class at this rate. :wink:
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

Wow! I'd say that's a fantastic opportunity to build a Sprint fleet. Admitedly, it's a small stretch of water, but it's next to a major city. Ideal for an evening race after work.

We need a contact.
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Seasalter view

Post by Steve Willis »

The imagery is great Martin. Our club looks like the satellite picture is about 3 years old and in the summer months. Cats stored on the beach and none of the two rows of dinghies in the field.

Much better than the old lower resolution ones - looking over our house I can see Joan in our top orchard and it was before I cut down all the ash trees along one of our boundaries.
Georgecart
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Mooredale Sailing Club - Toronto

Post by Georgecart »

Yes the club is about 100 yards north east of the current flag at 43.64094449719174, -79.33721199631691 The boats are all put away for the winter. The albacores are the white boats upside down and the remaining boats are yachts from the lake that are stored at the club over the winter.

The albacore may be a tub but like the sprint 15 likes the heavy weather. An albacore from the UK controversially won the speed freaks competition on the Yachts and Yachting website this year when sailing at the World Championships in Washington!
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Seasalter view

Post by Martin Searle »

Steve Willis wrote:The imagery is great Martin. Our club looks like the satellite picture is about 3 years old and in the summer months. Cats stored on the beach and none of the two rows of dinghies in the field.

Much better than the old lower resolution ones - looking over our house I can see Joan in our top orchard and it was before I cut down all the ash trees along one of our boundaries.
Hi Steve,

My guess is that they were taken in 2003 about August since if you look at St. Georges Golf Course in Sandwich you can see all the paths and marks left by the stands from the Open Championship held there. Google do seem to be updating all their old imagery with new pictures once they become available.

Also slightly off topic but where is the best place to get ones puncture repair for Celica wheels around here, I got my first flat the other week?, I thought of running it into the Toyota garage in Canterbury.

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Mooredale Sailing Club - Toronto

Post by Martin Searle »

[quote="Georgecart"]Yes the club is about 100 yards north east of the current flag at 43.64094449719174, -79.33721199631691 The boats are all put away for the winter. The albacores are the white boats upside down and the remaining boats are yachts from the lake that are stored at the club over the winter.
<snipage>
quote]

Hi George,

Thanks for the correction, I've applied it. Glad to know I wasn't too far off as I had my doubts.

Looks an intresting sailing location, lots of cats there by the looks of things, hobies?

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Mooredale Sailing Club - Toronto

Post by Andrew Hannah »

Georgecart wrote:Yes the club is about 100 yards north east of the current flag at 43.64094449719174, -79.33721199631691 The boats are all put away for the winter. The albacores are the white boats upside down and the remaining boats are yachts from the lake that are stored at the club over the winter.

The albacore may be a tub but like the sprint 15 likes the heavy weather. An albacore from the UK controversially won the speed freaks competition on the Yachts and Yachting website this year when sailing at the World Championships in Washington!
Hi George,

It is interesting what you say about your albacores. We still have seven or so, at Thorpe Bay. They are all sailed by venerable gentlemen, and who have sailed albs for many years. The boats hibernate in the winter, and slowly emerge in the spring. I'll pass on your message about how albacores enjoy the windier conditions. Ha!

I have, in the past, mentioned your canadian experiences to them. But they only note that albacores have some sort of following in Canada. Hopefully, you will come to Thorpe Bay next year, whereupon I'll introduce you.

Kind regards,

Andrew.
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Celica wheel punctures

Post by Steve Willis »

Martin,

The things that get discussed in the forum!

Don't go to Toyota for a puncture - their fitter rates are very high.

I have used HiQ in Wincheap for many years (they were the local Seeboard preferred supplier) and have found them very good both on tyre prices and punctures. I normally check prices before buying but they have always come out well.

Turn off Rheims Way towards Wincheap and go under the railway bridge and past the first turning into the business park. HiQ are then about 200-300 metres along on the right on the main road - I think they are the first place on the right with a parking forecourt in front of the shop.

They are listed in Yell.com - use 'Tyres' and 'Canterbury' for search items

They fitted the new tyres to Joan's Celica when we had Toyota replace the wheels that were corroding (under warranty).
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Celica wheel punctures

Post by Martin Searle »

Steve Willis wrote:Martin,

The things that get discussed in the forum!

Don't go to Toyota for a puncture - their fitter rates are very high.

I have used HiQ in Wincheap for many years<snip>.
Thanks Steve will check them out next week when I'm off work since I'm taking the rest of December off from this Friday (YAY!). It looks to be just a puncture since the tire looks OK and it started as a slow puncture and became not so slow after a few weeks.

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster