The UK Dart 15 Association

Water in hulls

Dart 15 Chat
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Water in hulls

Post by Andrew Hannah »

Are hulls designed to leak? I invariably have half a spongefull of water in each hull after racing. I don't seem to have any more if it has been blowing hard.

Would the hulls of a new boat similarly leak, or would they be bone dry?
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...
Keith Ball
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Keith Ball »

Hi Andrew,

Mine's dry (Year 2000 boat) unless I forget to secure a hatch cover properly. Check your O rings are OK & seated correctly.

However, I fear you've opened some wounds re. your question as I know some owners who would welcome your "half a spongefull"!

See you at the Nationals.

Keith
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Water in hulls

Post by Martin Searle »

Andrew Hannah wrote:Are hulls designed to leak? I invariably have half a spongefull of water in each hull after racing. I don't seem to have any more if it has been blowing hard.

Would the hulls of a new boat similarly leak, or would they be bone dry?
Half a spongeful! :roll: blimey if only before the recent refurbishment my hulls would have several litres of water in and in the worst case the whole hull was full of water but that was a full on hole so bad example but the symptom was that I was getting more and more water in that hull until all of a sudden it failed completely.

But in normal operation it was always several litres and that is with O rings and hatch covers fully sealed.

However after the refurb I capsized in big seas which had seen the enitre boat underwater a few times prior and I had NO water whatsoever in the hulls when I returned ashore. So probably some water can get in through all those dings and scrapes in the gel coat we all get as well.

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Ex Seasalter SC Webmaster
RYA Regional Race Officer (South East Region) (Expired)
RYA Club Race Coach (Expired)
RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor (Expired)
Brian Phipps
Commodore
Commodore

water in hull

Post by Brian Phipps »

The hulls do have a breather hole and that is in the rear beam, drilled up into the beam casting, approx 6mm. With the hull pumping as it goes through the water it will breath through this hole and suck any water around in. The hull does need to beath so it can react to hot and cold conditins. Some people fill this hole and drill a hole in the top of the hatch cover, which is fine but the hull should have the ability to breath some where!
If you need to check a hull for leaking use a hair dryer through the rear hatch , NOt too much air and then go around with soppy water, for sure you will find the leak.
Hope that helps,
Brian Windsport. catparts.
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

Thanks Brian (and Martin).

My pals at Thorpe Bay tell me there's a breathing hole somewhere, but none knows where it is! I'm much happier knowing a spongeful of water is acceptable.

Martin: do you now use your hatches to store your digestives?
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...