The UK Dart 15 Association

Trapezing Technique

Dart 15 Chat
Brian Phipps
Commodore
Commodore

trapeze techniques

Post by Brian Phipps »

My thoughts are:- the style of trapezing technique has to match your ability / mobility around the boat. The ultimate technique is to reduce the number of movments required to the minium, but that is of no use if there are other issues that have to be dialed in.
Few examples:-
If the boat is already at the perfect sailing angle , as you go out on the wire unless you sheet in the added leverage will drop the boat back into the water, the solution is to sheet in as you go out, if that were possible.

When tacking if coming in off the wire you end up sitting down you will then have to get back up on your kness to cross the boat adding a extra movement. Coming in on your knees removes that extra movement.

These are great words and coaching suggestions, but to be honest you need to do what you are happy with first enjoy it and then build from there.
If there is enough interest and the club would allow it may be wecould arrange a a coaching session pre the sport nationals at Instow, half a day or something? any takers?
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Brian

I'm definitely up for some training.

I went for a swim this evening (thought I'd released my main, but hadn't) & it went downhill from there. 2 Una rigs beat me on the water. Our pond is just far too small for Sport mode to stand a chance against Una rig in pretty much all conditions.

It's like starting out in the boat for the first time, rope everywhere, helming all over the place, half way down the leg before getting my head outside the boat & puffing like a steam train at the effort!!!!

My knee is hurting too, so I'm probably not going to do too much more trapeezing before Instow.
Charles
1942, Ingrid
Halifax SWC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: trapeze techniques

Post by Robert »

Brian Phipps wrote:If there is enough interest and the club would allow it may be wecould arrange a a coaching session pre the sport nationals at Instow, half a day or something? any takers?
Now that's what I like about Sprint 15 sailing: the true spirit of offering to share your knowledge with your fellow sailors. Coming just before the championship, I would say this is exemplary. Thanks, Brian, I'm sure you will get many takers for this!