The UK Dart 15 Association

Nationals Pentewan

Dart 15 Chat
Erling
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Nationals Pentewan

Post by Erling »

Only just over two weeks to get the discount on your entry for the Nationals.
Erling
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Erling »

Both Shanklin & Marconi have 3 boats entered for the team event, if a past National champion gets his cheque book out Beaver would have a team.
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Martin Searle »

Erling wrote:Both Shanklin & Marconi have 3 boats entered for the team event, if a past National champion gets his cheque book out Beaver would have a team.
Also Erling has started to add the entries onto the website so you can check who has entered and whether your entry has been received here:

http://www.sprint15.com/events/EMS/Nats ... .php?id=49

Martin S.

PS I just need to workout the logistics of getting the boat down there and I'll be joining you.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Ex Seasalter SC Webmaster
RYA Regional Race Officer (South East Region) (Expired)
RYA Club Race Coach (Expired)
RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor (Expired)
john postlethwaite
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by john postlethwaite »

its on its way erling
Erling
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Erling »

Last 3 days for discount
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Martin Searle »

Erling wrote:Last 3 days for discount
Hi Erling

Logistics seem to be coming together so the cheque will be in the post this evening.

Accom. Booking: Check (amazingly!) :D

Trailer: Broken :cry:, but should be fixable, the u-bolts have rusted and one even broke off. Need to replace wheels and bearings since they haven't moved for 4yrs.

Towbar on Car: Not present, but I'll have a drive down to the toyota garage at lunch and see the options for my celica. Not sure I'll see much through the rear window with the boat on the back :roll:

Also how are the roads to pentewan? not too many narrow country lanes to negotiate?

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Trailer for nationals

Post by Kevin Dutch »

Martin you are more than welcome to borrow my trailer for tha trip to Cornwall.
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Mark Aldridge »

..any chance of a car with a tow bar - everything else I have!!
Mark Aldridge
George Stephen
Captain
Captain

Tow bars etc

Post by George Stephen »

Martin,

There are independent suppliers of Towbars and electrics, which may well work out cheaper and just as good as those available from official car dealerships (possibly better 'cos towbars are their speciality - a sideline for some car manufacturers?).

Try Indespension, Witter for best known alternatives.

I've towed with 2 made-up cats on my trailer behind my Volvo 850 estate, which limited rear vision to a "tunnel" between the top hulls with limited view from the external car mirrors. You might want to consider getting some "caravan towing mirrors" for your Celica if your rear view is restricted due to the low-slung position of your car relative to the trailer -
at least you'd then be able to see if anything was about to overtake or undertake, even if you couldn't see if anything was about to crash into the back. Reversing would not be easy..... Your best source for such mirrors would probably be your local Indepension branch or perhaps a local Caravan Dealer.

In the past there have been Sprinters who towed from sports cars, but I can't remember who --- perhaps some others might remember them, or they might even read this and provide better assistance than me!

As regards roads near Pentewan, I think that the B3273 off the A390 is a reasonable road, but the earlier route past Porthpean and entering Pentewan down Pentewan Hill is a scenic lane for some of the way..... This knowledge is dated - I've only been to Pentewan once, and that was some years ago.
George 1594
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Martin Searle »

Folks,

Many thanks for the replies.

Kevin: I'll have a bash at fixing the trailer but if no go or I don't trust it, I may well take you up on your offer.

I should add I have another aspect to add to my logistics:

Boat: Broken :roll: I had a little crash at the weekend and put a nice dent in my starboard bow but should be able to fix it.

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

I see we are up to 44 but what happened to Team Draycote?
Any chance of a last minute entry, guys? :wink:
Mike_Ward
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Pentewan

Post by Mike_Ward »

We look forward to welcoming you at Pentewan Sands. On the Saturday prior to the event the site will be manned from 08:30am so you can get access all day. The bar and Galley will be in full operation in the evening there will be a pasta dish and veggie alternative provided. Approach Pentewan from the St Austell to Mevagissey Road, turn left into the village and then cross a narrow bridge, swing to the right on approch and you will get across okay. Opposite Ocean Sports there is a public car park. Turn right into the car park and ahead you will find the gate leading into our club. It should be open or manned, if not pop into Ocean Sports and ask for Miles who will let you in. Drive to the beach (slowly) and you will be assisted in locating your pitch for the event.

The Galley will be providing Breakfasts, lunches,snacks and evening meals all week.

For those in need of wetsuits, other kit or spearguns! Ocean Sports offers a discount to PSSC members which includes you for the duration of the event.
Mike Ward
SailingSecretary
Pentewan Sands Sailing Club
Robin Newbold
Warrant Officer (Class One)
Warrant Officer (Class One)

Post by Robin Newbold »

I think the Draycote lot said at Instow that they couldn't make it, washing their hair or something...
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Pentewan

Post by Martin Searle »

Mike_Ward wrote:We look forward to welcoming you at Pentewan Sands. On the Saturday prior to the event the site will be manned from 08:30am so you can get access all day. <snip>.
Thanks Mike for the reply, I have added it to the event information page on the site. Combined with the Satelite view from Google Maps I can now see how to get there from the B3273 (its always the last bit that catches people out :roll: ).

I notice that Google Maps directions are a bit wrong since it routes you through the campsite and then over what looks like a pedestrian bridge linking the two sites. So follow Mike's instructions for the approach not googles!

Thanks,

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Derek James
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Draycote hair washing

Post by Derek James »

Ref Team Draycote ,
unfortunately it has panned out that between Holidays and work we are all else where for the nationals :cry: As for washing our hair that can't be right , between us we could only produce one full head of hair . Have a good nationals and see you at the winter TT's if not before .
Cheers
Derek.
Derek ( Dray cat ) Sprint 1744