The UK Dart 15 Association

Norfolk broads sailing holidays

Dart 15 Chat
RobBowen
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Norfolk broads sailing holidays

Post by RobBowen »

Hi all, now I've never been there, as will be obvious by my line of questioning! But has anyone ever done a cruising / pottering sailing holiday on the broads? We're kind of thinking along the lines of camping and pottering. Looking at an arial map it looks like most of the broads would be too narrow for a 15, but I really have no idea at all.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? Or offer alternatives even!

Thanks

Rob
Peter Lytton
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Re: Norfolk broads sailing holidays

Post by Peter Lytton »

Had a very enjoyable long weekend last May, sailing a 2 berth traditional broads sailing boat. Even managed to hail on us! Booked with Martham Yachts, and explored the NE corner. But definitely not as fast a a 15.
Leapy
Petty Officer
Petty Officer

Post by Leapy »

Unless you have a vessel on which you can drop your mast the areas you can sail are very limited(by the low bridges)-although you could sail on some of the larger broads-wouldn't take a 15 very long to get up and down though!
Always sailing into the sunset
Duncan Ford
Warrant Officer (Class Two)
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Post by Duncan Ford »

Hi Rob
My wife won't go near my Sprint but she loves sailing on the Broads because she feels safer seeing the bank either side, so we hire a traditional gaff rig boat every year for a week and love it.
Your post seems to suggest you want to take your 15 to the Broads. I may be wrong (hope not) but I doubt very much that the Broads Authority will allow that. You need a licence to sail on the Broads, and I have never seen a cat on the rivers or on the actual Broads. Ask them, but it is strictly regulated.
We go to the Northern Broads, ie rivers Ant Bure and Thurne. Best sailing is where it is open,ie no further west than Wroxham. The Ant is lovely and Barton Broad great as is the area beyond Potter Heigham at Horsey. Southern Broads perhaps rather less scenic but more open rivers. Generally you are restricted unless you can drop the mast, which is easy on a hire boat.
We try to avoid school hols, but you may not be able to. Fishing season also makes it busier ie 16th June on. Light evenings best.
Traditional gaff rigs get more wind above the banks so are easier. We usually now have a 24 ft or so 2 berth but I have gone up to 34ft in the past. We have an engine as it's easier, but have had a boat from Hunters Yard (75 yr old fleet with no power) and that is interesting! They tack up the narrowest rivers.
Motor boats can be a nuisance to sailors but only because most hiring them don't understand the rules of giving way - you have to shout firm directions and be careful!
You can moor next to pubs if you like that, or miles from anyone. We prefer it quiet and last year saw otters twice, deer and marsh harriers etc etc. Lots of walks available.
Search sailing and broads and you will get the hire companies. Hope that helps.
Good luck
Duncan Ford 1973
Duncan Ford 1973