Sailing in North Wales

Dart 15 Chat
Mike Robertshaw
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Sailing in North Wales

Post by Mike Robertshaw »

Hi all,
I'm looking for advice on which sailing clubs in the North Wales sail 15's.
I am lucky enough to have got my ideal job, Engineering Manager for Snowdon Mountain Railway. The family and the 15 will be relocating to the North Wales coast somewhere around Conwy. I will be moving with the 15 before the family so I need to get the priorities sorted, find a club and move the 15 before I start house hunting so the family can move.

I would like a local ish club and one where I can sail with other 15's or at least other cats, I know Bala has the cat club but I'm not sure if there are 15's sailing there.

All advice gratefully received although not necessarily taken.

Many thanks,

Mike
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Sailing in North Wales

Post by Kevin Parvin »

Hi Mike

Lucky you, having got yourself such a good job. I walked up Snowdon on Good Friday (only tourists take the train), the top was packed, the beer choice on the summit was poor, but the view was fantastic.

You have a couple of choices re sailing in the Conwy area, either my own club at Penmaenmawr- lovely sandy beach, nice club house, lots of club boats for kids to learn on. However the racing is poor (couple of Tigers, the odd Dart 18 and me), and boat storage facilities are very limited.

I have started sailing at Llandudno Sailing Club, and expect to spend most of the 2011 season there. The racing is much better ie committee boat starts and standard courses. The fleet is mainly GP 14s, Lasers, Solos (but no other cats). My aim is to convert some of the members to cat sailing. The club building is being extended at the moment, but the main disadvantage is the long walk with the boat, down the prom to the jetty for launching.

I will be sailing at Llandudno on Sunday 1st May if you ar down.

Where are you planning to set up home? I live in Deganwy, and sometimes sail the Sprint in the Conwy estuary.

If you want to get in touch, ask the membership secretary to send you my e-mail address, sorry I don't want to display it on the open chat page.

Regards

Kevin Parvin
Sprint 15 1615
Mike Robertshaw
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Thanks Kevin,
I was in Llandudno last year for the day and watched the racing, I met a guy with a 15 who raced at the Nationals whith me, he was there as a visitor for the day. I noticed the long slog back along the prom, seemed tiring after an afternoon sailing. Good excuse for a decent set of wheels for the trolley, not sure how easy it will be with an onshore breeze either.

I will contact the membership secretary for your email address as you suggest.

Thanks

Mike
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kevin Parvin »

Hi Mike

Small world, that guy you met on the prom at Llandudno was me!!
I would agree that the slog up the prom after sailing could be a chore, the guys at the club say they have secured funding for building a new jetty opposite the boat park, but they have said that for years. The GP sailors hook their boats up to the car and drop them off at the launch site. But I will give it a go this season and see how I get on. Low tide launches at Llandudno when the beach is exposed are safer to boat and crew. High tide launches at Penmaenmawr when the wind blows from the North or North west can be a bit dicey.

My brother sailed his laser at Port Dinorwic on the Menai Straits, lovely setting, nice club, mixed fleet (no cats), but a bit of a drive from Conwy, plus they race on Saturday afternoons.

I've always thought llandudno could make a good Nationals venue, given the right tide times. The Albacores are there this year, and their 'Pro', has officiated at Olympic sailing events.

Regards

Kevin
Mike Robertshaw
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Kevin,
My appologies, I am terrible with names, Thanks for the info I will be looking aroubnd at the clubs next week and possibly looking at the mid week racing. I dont think I will get much weekend sailing in this year, I will be commuting at weekends or working. I hope to catch up with you this year if you are in the area
Best regards, Mike
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

Glad you got the job, Mike. If you can find the time there's always the Bala Long Distance Race on 9th and 10th July: http://www.balasc.org.uk/PDF/Long%20Dis ... 202011.pdf
Robert England
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Mike

Good move North!

My father has just sold his boat in Conwy so I won't be down in the area so much, but might like to try meeting up at whichever club you plump for, just to add to the fleet for a day.
Charles
1942, Ingrid
Halifax SWC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

Mike Robertshaw v. Kevin Parvin v. Charles Watson v. Robert England sounds good to me for starters.
Robert England
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kevin Parvin »

Llandudno had 17 boats out on their first Wednesday evening race.

Blowing from the East right into Llandudno North shore beach on May 1st, very rough conditions.....no racing today.

Kevin.
:(
Mike Robertshaw
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Well, I finally got my boat here to North Wales and have Joined Penmaenmawr SC. I raced for the first time yesterday and in light airs beat the fast cats. :D Probably not good form to win on yourt first day as a member but I was happy.

Thanks for all the advice and I hope to see you soon.

Mike
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kevin Parvin »

Hi Mike

Glad you got the boat over to North Wales, and Penmaenmawr SC is a good place to sail. I'm still a member there but have based my boat in Llandudno for the 2011 season. I struggle to sail on a Sunday at the moment but Llandudno have a good Wednesday evening series (two races from 7pm plus a hot meal after).

Say hi to Bernard at Pen SC, I plan to sail under their banner for the Nationals, are you planning to attend ??

Kevin

Sprint 15 1615
Mike Robertshaw
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

hi Kevin,
I spoke with Bernard and he said he was hoping you would sail there soon. I dont know about the Nationals yet, I will need to leave it until the last minute as I dont know where we will be in the house move stakes or work commitments. I will def go for some time over the weekend even just to support.
My email is mike.robertshaw@snowdonrailway.co.uk if you want to get in touch.

Mike