The UK Dart 15 Association

Training for Cat Newbies

Dart 15 Chat
Dave Lee
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Training for Cat Newbies

Post by Dave Lee »

As a new owner of a Sprint 15 and a newcomer to multi-hull sailing, my son and I decided that rather than just read some books and biff about on the water trying to figure out the differences ourselves, we would take a proper Cat Conversion Course. I am very glad that we did, for while the fundamental principles are the same as mono-hull, as you all know there are some very specific techniques that we would have got wrong.

We looked at a number of the courses available and chose the one offered at Carsington, mainly because it seemed very good value compared to others - £100 per person for a full two day course, as opposed to most schools who charge around £150 per person for a one day course. At £200 for the pair of us this was money really well spent.

The course was run by George Love, who as most people here will know is as delightful and amiable a chap as you could wish to meet; which meant that despite being conducted on a tough (and heavy) Topax CX16, he was able to discuss the differences with a Sprint 15 and give some useful racing pointers. The course content was comprehensive and assumed a fair amount of basic sailing skill, which enabled it to concentrate on difference teaching. With two days available, while there was always something new to learn, (close formation with a RIB, riding its wake and learning to turn, accelerate and decelerate whilst concentrating attention ahead rather than on the sheet, traveller and tiller, certainly focussed the mind!), there was also plenty of time on the water to consolidate skills; with the result that Jonny and I left understanding that we still have a lot to learn, but confident that we can sail in moderately blowy conditions without embarrassing ourselves too much.

So to anyone out there with a newly acquired boat, but new to Cat sailing and wondering where to start, I heartily recommend that you do the RYA Catamaran Conversion Course. I cannot speak for any other sailing schools, but we had a really fantastic time at Carsington, learnt a huge amount and came away as fresh converts, confident and keen to get Blue Cat out on the water.

Big thank you to George, for his excellent instruction and company, and to the friendly staff at Carsington who helped make it such a superb weekend. Top Tip - the Sausage and Bacon Bap.