The UK Dart 15 Association

Tight Jib Halyard

Dart 15 Chat
Phil 1756
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Tight Jib Halyard

Post by Phil 1756 »

Rarely do i venture out with a jib, (the main is enough for my short skill set) but when i do, i never seem to get it tight enough. The original clip mechanism has long gone so i just tie it to the furling drum. As soon as I sheet in and its blowing a little it goes a bit baggy between the hanks on the luff.
Does a rotating mast or the class rules prevent the halyard being threaded through a jammer at the foot of the mast?
Any tips would be most welcome.

Thanks, Phil.
RobBowen
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Tight Jib Halyard

Post by RobBowen »

Hi Phil, I generally sail 2 up with the jib, and have spent a fair bit of time on this. The most useful bit of advice I've read is in Brian Phipps catamaran book for setting up luff tension. Basically he says to pull the main in fully as you would on a beat, then tension the jib luff so that it is just a little looser than the forestay. As the jib luff has no wire inside it, it is important that the tension is taken on the forestay rather than the jib itself.

There will be a bit of a sag in the luff, especially if the main isn't pulled in fully.
George Stephen
Captain
Captain

Post by George Stephen »

Hi Phil,

1 You don't want to tie off a jib halyard that is attached to the top of the jib to anything that is not between the top of the lower furling drum and the bottom eye of the forestay.
2 It's difficult to work out from your Chat entry what's left from your old wire jib halyard - I assume you have a flexy wire halyard with eyes at each end, and you still have the twisted shackle and metal block that are attached to the forestay shackle at the bottom of the upper furler swivel. http://www.sprint15.com/manuals/parts_list/section9.jpg shows the relevant parts and configurations. If you don't have even a double-eyed wire halyard, I'd make up an "interim" replacement out of something like 2mm dyneema (low stretch high breaking strain) rope - it's got to be just thin enough to go through the metal block...... Get enough to allow for tying off at each end. If you're in doubt about this, I watched multi-National Champion George Carter do just that at a Nationals to replace a wire halyard that was clearly not going to last out, and it didn't slow him down in subsequent races..... You'll still need about the same length of almost any old string to tie onto the free end (not the one that gets shackled to the top eye of the jib luff) for use only when lowering the jib, tying off when not in use, raising the jib when needed, and untying completely when the jib is hoisted and in use (I use the spare length available from my furling line).
3 When you hoist the jib, use a short length of thin rope to tie the eye of your wire halyard end to the lower forestay eye or to a shackle you put through it (eg to replace the missing snap-link shackle). If you've replaced the wire halyard with dyneema or the ilk, tie it directly. TIP from BRIAN PHIPPS is to have the jib quite low on the forestay, to open the gap between the top of the jib and the mast/mainsail - otherwise the airflow through the slot can be adversely affected. At this stage the bottom of the jib is still loose.
4 Then use the tip from Rob Bowen, but ultimately from Brian Phipps, of getting the cat head to wind and applying as much mainsheet tension to the (already hoisted) mainsail as you think you'll use during day's sailing - err slightly heavy on tension if you think the wind is going to get stronger on the water. Use another short length of thin rope to tie the eye at the foot of the jib luff to the top of the lower furling drum, or the shackle there, or whatever, tensioning it before you tie it off so that the jib luff is tight, but not tighter than the forestay. You'll end up with quite a lot of string in this area.
5 If you always "feel" the rig tension need to stretch the forestay and jib luff to the point at which it was set, you'll eventually get a feel for the tension needed, and probably be able to dispense with the main-sheet tensioning part.
6 If you've used string to tie just about everything off, don't be tempted to mark it until it's been used a few times so slack anywhere in the "system" has been worked out. But you could then mark the string for different wind settings.....
7 The above is based on "what will get you going" on the few occasions when you use the jib. It may not be "fully class legal".
8 For what it's worth, my tip is "always sail with no more rig tension (rig NOT jib luff tension) than allows you to push the mast through 90 degrees with just single finger pressure". If you do this, then when you sail "downwind" the jib will belly out nicely given the relatively low apparent wind, enabling you to sail at a slightly better downwind angle, but still at speed.

In another Chat thread there have been discussions about shroud length, which inevitably went into mast rake and rig tension. The advice from Mark Aldridge applies equally to sailing with the jib :-

"Just set it about right and then practice.

When you've practiced once, practice again and again and again.

...and keep doing it.

This will reap more benefit that worrying about the rig!
Mark Aldridge"

I'd just add : when you do get good at sailing your Sprint 15, you'll be able to experiment with small variations in rig tension and mast rake to see if you can fine-tune the aggregate of your acquired boat handling skills, body weight and the boat set-up to further advantage...
George 1594
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kevin Dutch »

Ok my method is a little contradictory with what's been said and it's done me no harm. When I set my jib I tighten the luff just enough to make the forestay go a smigin slack and I only mean a tiny bit. That way when you crank on the main sheet what ever slack there is up front with the forestay tying off rope etc will be taken up to create in my eyes the ideal jib tension for most winds except for really strong when I'll tighten just a couple of mm more. I hope that this is some help?
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938
Phil 1756
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Phil 1756 »

Thanks Rob, George, Kevin

Will definately look to incorporate your tips for setting up the Jib. And keep practicing..

Phil.