The UK Dart 15 Association

Nick Dewhirst

Dart 15 Chat
SteveR
Warrant Officer (Class Two)
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Re: Nick Dewhurst

Post by SteveR »

What a nice guy I meet Nick at W Y C when I had my Dart16 and he invited my daughter and I to join in my racing, hence he left us behind ( the Dart 16 is surpose to be faster than S15 on the water) since then I moved on to the Sprint 15. Nick was madeup when Paul started racing the 15 he liked to see young blood coming into the fleet. He will be sadly missed not only by our family, but the Dart 18, Sprint 15 fleet and all the other Cat Classes. Our sympathy goes out to Sissy & the Boys
Steve,Beryl Paul & Michelle
Loosecannon1910
& Dee S C
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Nick Dewhurst

Post by Kevin Dutch »

The funeral will take place on Friday 2nd August at Barham Crematorium (Canterbury Road, Barham, Nr Canterbury, Kent. CT4 6QU) at 3.20pm then afterwards at Whitstable Yacht Club.
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938
JimJeffery
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Nick Dewhirst

Post by JimJeffery »

It is with great sadness that I add my thoughts to those of others who have known and gained so much from the Man Nick Dewhirst.

I first met Nick when coming to Seasalter for the Fowley Island race which, although a novice, he entered with great enthusiasm. That enthusiasm has never waned and has seen the Spark go from the "Just for Fun" cat to the largest class racing in the UK.

Lesley and my thoughts are for Sissy, and the 'boys' at this time and in the future.

Jim Jeffery
Past Chairman
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Nick Dewhirst

Post by Charles »

I've only just found out about Nick's sad passing. I was at Bridlington and one of the 18 sailors told me, I couldn't believe it.

I first met Nick at Stewartby Teach In about 10 years ago and he has always made a point of passing on golden nuggets of information whenever I've met him since, whether sailing, business or personal; he handed out all with similar generosity.

From reading all the comments above it wasn't just that Nick was a sailing buddy or trickster, getting us to "volunteer" for things but he made a point of knowing something about each of us & was just such a genuinely nice bloke. He has introduced so many of us to one another to create so many friendships that will help us through and endure far beyond this sad time.

When I tack, & let's face it that's quite a lot on our little pond, I'm reminded of Nick's advice at that first teach in, that "you can just let the mainsheet go and it will be fine". I'm also reminded of it when I forget & (nearly) dump myself in the water. Kicking tyres at Carsington and playing his fantastic knife game, using a selection of his & our favourite venues; I did my first Sport Nationals at Instow just to find out if it was as tricky to sail for real as in Nick's game!

I hope I can carry just a little bit of Nick's enthusiasm for sailing and life with me and pass it on to others the way he passed some of his on to me.

My girlfriend never met Nick, but as I wrote this and told her some of the things I knew about the man she said "God must have needed a sailor". God got more than just a sailor. I hope God's coping.

My condolences to Sissy and the boys.

Reading my sign off Nick must have been one of the youngest people I ever met.

Fair winds Nick.
Charles
1942, Ingrid
Halifax SWC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)