disassembling the mast

Dart 15 Chat
blu
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

disassembling the mast

Post by blu »

Hi guys,

I am trying to disassembling my mast for transportation. I removed the two ribets already, but it is looks very tight. Two persons cant split the two section. Is there any tecnic?

Thank you for your help!

Ricardo
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: disassembling the mast

Post by Robert »

Hi Ricardo

I have not had this problem myself but I'm sure someone will post some advice soon. It sounds as though you may have an alloy joiner. If so there may be some corrosion inside the mast, particularly near the rivets, and this is where the problem may lie. Perhaps you can get some WD40 or similar stuff into the join near the rivet holes and near the split. Then try to move the joint a little (somehow) to work the release agent into the join. This will be difficult unless you hold the mast steady. To do this, lay the mast on the trampoline, on its side, and attach it to the ball on the front beam with a bar or screw driver through the holes in the mast heel and the ball. Then you may be able to begin to wiggle the join a tiny bit.

Is there anyone who can take your mast for you, or can you use a trailer with a mast rest?

Good luck.

Robert
Robert England
blu
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by blu »

Hi Robert!

Thank you for your quick replay. It is very likely that the corriosion is the reason for the problem.... Ricardo
Peter Lytton
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Peter Lytton »

I would agree with Robert- I use the ball and mast pin to put the two sections of mast together and pull them apart- that way you can do it on your own. My insert is glassfibre, though still a snug fit. However a word of caution based on experience - the mast cup is made of alloy and I broke it - snapped it across one of the holes through which the mast pin fits, on my Dart 18, once upon a time, by allowing it to go to one side. Keep it at 90 degrees to the main beam.