The UK Dart 15 Association

Blue Mainsail No: 1762

Dart 15 Chat
DMN
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Blue Mainsail No: 1762

Post by DMN »

Hi - I bought a secondhand Sprint 15 in 2016 (No. 1847) which I’ve enjoyed getting to know but am yet to regularly get out on and yet to properly race. It came with two mainsails - the original (white/pink trim) and a completely dark blue sail (no trim) with a red number 1762 on it. It has the identical 15 logos on it but clearly no new boats were made with an all navy blue sail. I would assume therefore it’s made by another ‘unofficial’ manufacturer and would not be class compliant, but there are no manufacturer’s logos on it, just the class ones. Does anyone know of a way to be sure - or know the history of this sail? It’s a bit stained but has no repairs so it could have a lot of use left in it (racing or otherwise) one way or another. Thanks. David
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Blue Mainsail No: 1762

Post by Bob Carter »

Looks like a good sail, to use for cruising and training but not racing at Class Association events......
Regards
Bob
PS The Laser Centre did sell off a number of non-class compliant one colour sails in 1988-1990 most were orange and were a different shape and considerably larger area than our standard sail. I think they were probably made for the Spark Fun boat which was discontinued about 1988. The Spark Fun was also not race compliant as it had many non standard features. You can read about it in the magazine titled "Class Struggle" by Nick Dewhirst which can be found in the depths of this website.....
DMN
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by DMN »

Thanks Bob - that’s helpful and makes sense. I’ll save it for holidays and fun days unless any further information comes to light. Thanks for the links and information you’ve provided - much appreciated. David
Frank
Grub Guru
Grub Guru

Post by Frank »

I owned 1762 (Reservoir Cat) from 2001 - 2005 . It came with a white sail with the red & green panels, the guy I sold it to didn't use it much he sold it on, then it turned up at Grafham a few years ago under the ownership of one of the coxswains .
So to cut a long story short - no blue sail in my ownership !!

Cheers

Frank
DMN
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by DMN »

Hi Frank, sorry for the late reply to your post. I'd missed any notification it had gone on. Thanks for letting me know re your experience re 1762 - it will just have to remain a mystery as to how I've ended up with the sail I have. Thanks for filling in a piece of the jigsaw! David
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

But how are you getting on with 1847?
Hopefully you are enjoying the boat......
Cheers
Bob