Reataching jib block guide/rail

Dart 15 Chat
Javier
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Reataching jib block guide/rail

Post by Javier »

Hola desde España!

I’d like to ask you for advice regarding some repair that I need to do on my Dart 15. A shroud pin failed yesterday and of course the mast went down. Luckily no one got hurt and there was very little damage to the boat all things considered.
One guide/ rail were the jib sheet block is attached was ripped off. It is a rail that allows to adjust the place where the jib block is attached forwards and backwards. I’m trying to share a photo here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ueuCQVoc7mpooTYZ6

The guide seems to be fine but I have to reattach it to the boat. My question is what size and type of rivet should I use. It looks like the diameter should be 4.8 but I’m clueless about the length, and whether it should be aluminium, monel or if stainless steel would also be OK.

I’ve looked into the parts list of the Dart 15 I once downloaded from the Dart 15 association website and I’ve also browsed the Windsport online shop website but I have not found any information.

I I could source the rivets locally I would be able to be back in the water sooner. Considering I’m currently enjoying my holidays’ last week that would be super nice.

Thank you very much for your help!

Javier
mrblue1991
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Reataching jib block guide/rail

Post by mrblue1991 »

Hi Javier,

It would be best to rivet it back on with Monel rivets or Stainless. I wouldn't use aluminium as they will potentially corrode in no time. First make sure any remains of the old rivets are drilled out with a 4.8mm drill bit ( 5mm will do if you don't have a 4.8mm available). If the holes are enlarged bigger than 5mm I would offset the track slightly and drill new holes. You would need to fill the old holes if you follow this route. Gelcoat filler would be ok or silicone sealant.

I would suggest that 19mm long rivets would be a good length to ensure you have sufficient grip on the rivet to hold the track firmly in place. I would also bed the track on silicone so that all of the holes are sealed.

Trust this assists .

Paul
Javier
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Javier »

Hi Paul,
Thank you very much for your help!
I will follow your advice. Monel rivets are harder to source but I can get stainless steel rivets easily.
Happy sailing!
Javier
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

I would imagine that stainless steel pop rivets are likely to be too powerful for the fibreglass of the hull (but I would like to hear from others if this is correct). Why not buy the proper rivets from Windsport? See under Suppliers on this website.
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

I'm sure that Tom or Brian of Windsport will advise in this chat if you wait a day or 2
Javier
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Javier »

Thanks Bob for chiming in! Some advice from Windsport would be great!
Paul's advice is much appreciated and makes a lot of sense but Bob's insight is also very valid. I took another look on the boat and the rivets holding the other guide look like they may be made from aluminium. And when I think about it, it may be a good thing using aluminium rivets that break fairly easily (like a mechanical fuse). That way the guide was stripped off from the hull cleanly when the mast went down, whithout being bent or causing any damage to the hull, the jib blocks or the trampoline rail.
I've searched throroughly the Windsport web shop and I have not found any mention to the rivets for this specific application, or even the jib rail/guide replacement.
Thank you!
Javier
mrblue1991
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by mrblue1991 »

Javier,

On older Dart 15's like one you have the jib track was a separate unit from the trampoline track but on newer 15's the jib track is an integral component with the trampoline track ( Part Number SKU: 20043 ) so hence why you cannot see the old track as a spare on the Windsport site.

Interestingly if you look at the new trampoline track option ( SKU: 20043 ) their is a link to the rivets that are required to fit the track .
These are part number SKU: 01303 and these are listed as ALUMINIUM rivets 4.8mm x 22mm long.

Longer term Aluminium rivets will corrode especially in sea water so hence the suggestion to use monel.

If you are looking to repair and use the boat then why not go Aluminium. Check them for corrosion and they should be good for a number of years.

Your other option is to send an email to Windsport and ask them to confirm the correct pop rivet size to attach the Jib Sheet track on an Older version of the Dart 15. There is a link below that is on the Windsport Site -

https://www.windsport.co.uk/wordpress/contact/

Trust this assists .

Paul
Javier
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Javier »

Hello Paul and Bob,
I finally decided to order some small spares from Windsport and I asked them about the rivets. Tom Phipps told me they use 4.8x22 Alu rivets so I added some rivets to the order.
Thank you very much for the help.
Best regards,
Javier