The UK Dart 15 Association

Facebook Sprint 15 page

Dart 15 Chat
David WH Insurance
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Facebook Sprint 15 page

Post by David WH Insurance »

I have set up a facebook (social networking site) page for Sprint 15s. Nearly all other classes have one and it attracts the younger sailors. Feel free to join it and add comments and photos.
George Carter was first to join (No surprise!) but as I set it up I can actually claim to have beaten him to it!!!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=46006781361
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

David

I've joined, had to join Facebook to do it... all this new-fangled technology !!!
Charles
1942, Ingrid
Halifax SWC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

I don't understand it. If I click Robert England, I see he has Nick Dewhirst as one of his friends. If I then click Nick, I notice he has friends too. But he isn't one of our members. Does this mean Nick is already a Facebook member, but not with us?

Also, how do you mount those pictures of your friends? Eg the picture of Nick sailing a big cat. Is it one of Robert's photographs? Or someone else's?

Andrew.
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...
David WH Insurance
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Facebook

Nick is already on facebook but usually not the fastest to respond!! I have invited him to join the new group.
Everyone chooses their own photo which can be changed, I vary mine between several of the boats that I sail - the current one was taken at the end of September and is an F18.
If in doubt ask an 18 year old! everyone of that age is on it!
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Facebook

Post by George Love »

Thanks, David, for setting this up. As you will know I have joined up. Slightly new territory for me but I was ably guided through the process by my No.1 nineteen year old son, Rob. I then, almost instantly, had an on-line conversation by chance with daughter Rebecca who is currently in the Pyrenees for the winter-great stuff!
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
David WH Insurance
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Wow , less than 2 days from setting it up and we have 11 members and 39 photos! Come on Mr Dewhirst!
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Mr Dewhurst

Post by Kevin Dutch »

It will be months before Nick joins, because he only goes on there once in a blue moon.
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

I've joined. But what is its point? Is it supposed to fill a gap between instant messaging and e-mail? Is there a gap?

It must be very popular because youngsters will have 50+ "friends".
Struggling musician
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Party time

Post by Steve Willis »

Does this mean we too can get 300 lager louts turn up at a TT evening dinner? Looking at the way certain groups use searches of Facebook to get information I am very wary of joining (or giving my e-mail address)

Like Andrew I am not sure what benefit it serves. When the kids go on holiday they contact us by e-mail or text and put their photos on dedicated photo servers to be viewed on line. They use text messages for normal contact all the time.

What does facebook give us?

Steve
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Beats me but it is a magical mystery tour into the 21st century............
Cheers
Bob
PS Looks like I've been made an Admiral on it - after just one day!!!
It took years to achieve that status on this web site. :wink:
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Admiral Carter

Post by Steve Willis »

Hi Bob,

Happy new year.

Now you know you have arrived!!

Admiral to the next generation.

Congrats.

Steve
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

I had no idea so many people want to be my friend! So far, I have always agreed because I know them. But if I don't know them, what should I do?

Who is Steve Roberts?
Struggling musician
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

For your info., Andrew, Steve Roberts is a Sprint 15 sailor, lives near Liverpool and is a member of a club in North Wales. I have met him at the odd TT. I am still also not sure of the value of this but time will tell - it's a good laugh at any rate and I've just had a deep and meaningful on-line conversation from my study here with my son - he was in the dining room next door! - lol!
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
David WH Insurance
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Its all a cunning plan to gain more members.
If someone looks up a friend and sees that they go sailing they might just ask about it and want a go.(In that twin hulled thing)
Also I have added Bob as an Admin so he can send messages to all Sprint 15 facebook members and invite any to join the association that are not already members.
In 12 months the Dart 18 facebook page has passed 200 members and many sailing clubs have a page too.
Its extra free advertising!
Events can also be listed. A lot is just a repeat of the excellent Sprint website but it will catch a few that have escaped!
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

Thanks David,

With usage, I'm getting the hang of it. I've now had my first chat which is like messaging. But a small question please.

How do you reply to a pop-up message from a friend? The pop-up message is roughly 3 ins wide and 4 ins high, and is different in appearance to the larger standard message box. The small message box has a space to reply but nowhere to click to send.

Any comments welcome.
Struggling musician