Hull Leaks

Dart 15 Chat
Chris
Warrant Officer (Class One)
Warrant Officer (Class One)

Hull Leaks

Post by Chris »

How can you test for hull leaks?

I hear that small smoke bombs can be used.

Chris
Peter Lytton
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Re: Hull Leaks

Post by Peter Lytton »

Not heard of smoke bombs, but a method I have seen a Professional boat repairer use is air pressure and soapy water. You need to induce a slight positive pressure in the hull by means of a foot pump or similar. A modified hatch cover would be the best way of providing a means of attaching the pump. Make up a mix of approx 50% water and a similar amount of washing up liquid, and use a paintbrush to liberally brush on anywhere which might potentially be a source of leaks- all fittings, hull/deck join and hull joint down the centre line. You are looking for bubbles. Remember there is a natural breather hole in the beam socket, and it is not uncommon in my experience to find a small quantity of water in the hull following a sail on a windy day.
Brian Phipps
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Hull Leaks

Post by Brian Phipps »

Caution, if you are using air pressure, as the man say ,slight air pressure as too much pressure build up can dislodge the glued in spacers in the hull.

Here at Windsport workshop we use a vacum test first to see measure the size of any leakage this allows us to apply more suction safely. This often also identifies the leak as it it makes a noise as it sucks in air.

All NEW boat have the breather hole drilled behind the hull gudgon rudder fitting, an area least prone to drawing in water.
Happy new yrear to you all.
Brian
Windsport Sprint 15 technical support