Dart 15 Chat
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Sprint 15 photographed at Cowes Dinghy Week

Post by Robert »

http://www.photoboxgallery.com/sailingimages/6156272

Is picture no. 10 Robin Leather?

Might we indulge in a public album at Photobox which members could upload their own photos to?
Robert England
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

Well maybe it's not Robin, then. I still think it would be nice to see more pictures of Sprint 15s if anyone had them to share. I like the ones on this website but we are already served so well by our hard working committee members and webmaster that I for one wouldn't want them to have to keep fiddling about adding extra images.

A site such as "Photobox" allows 1GB of free storage space, and you can share and group different people's albums together. You can buy prints at a very reasonable rate too. It works best with a broadband connection. I have just used it to share pictures of my daughter's wedding and it is very easy to use.

I remember wanting to see lots of Sprint 15 pictures when I was considering buying one. Frank couldn't find any YouTube video of our class - maybe a few more recent snaps could help to show how dynamic our Class Association is to prospective members.
Robert England
Carl from Gurnard
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Carl from Gurnard »

Hi Robert
For the records it is Pat Moore.
Very good point about prospective purchasers.

Carl
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Sprint 15 photographed at Cowes Dinghy Week

Post by Martin Searle »

Robert wrote:http://www.photoboxgallery.com/sailingimages/6156272

Is picture no. 10 Robin Leather?

Might we indulge in a public album at Photobox which members could upload their own photos to?
I could give some people access to upload pictures to our website currently its Bob and me that have access. But it is a bit of a legal minefield, with copyrights and that sort of thing, so I don't really want to give everyone upload access.

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Ex Seasalter SC Webmaster
RYA Regional Race Officer (South East Region) (Expired)
RYA Club Race Coach (Expired)
RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor (Expired)
Chris
Warrant Officer (Class One)
Warrant Officer (Class One)

Pictures

Post by Chris »

Would be great to see more pictures, have always offered the pictures on Shanklin's web site for use on the Sprint15 web. but have only been taken up on the very rare occasion.
By the way does anyone know where the pictures from Saundersfoot have got to
Chris
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Pictures

Post by Martin Searle »

Chris wrote:Would be great to see more pictures, have always offered the pictures on Shanklin's web site for use on the Sprint15 web. but have only been taken up on the very rare occasion.
By the way does anyone know where the pictures from Saundersfoot have got to
Chris
There are pictures from the Nationals in the pictures archive at 2007\Saundersfoot Nationals and also in the sub-folder Fun Events

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Ex Seasalter SC Webmaster
RYA Regional Race Officer (South East Region) (Expired)
RYA Club Race Coach (Expired)
RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor (Expired)
Keith Ball
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Keith Ball »

Martin,

I think Chris may be referring to the shots the photograher Nick Champion took on the Friday of our Nationals?

Bob advised back in August that he had travelled to the event at our request & would be contacting the sailors he had piccies of. The hope being some would purchase to cover his costs & continue supporting the class.

I noted there were a couple of his shots displayed in the folder quoted, so assumed I wasn't contacted because I wasn't in any of his photos. Has anyone received contact?

Keith
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

I got sent a few pictures from Nick for use on our website & also in the magazine. The rest he will contact you direct. He is notoriously slow at doing this. He tends to take pictures all summer and send out proofs for orders of prints in the winter.
I'll send him a link to this forum as a wake up call.
Cheers
Bob
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Guys
I got this reply from Nick Champion

Hi Bob,

Very sorry about the delay. I shot the event on both digital and film - as the battery malfunctioned on the digital camera at the time - and this caused me problems when it came to proofing them.

Anyway, enough of excuses, in the end I decided to proof everything on to paper, or as I think they now say 'hard copy', and these are on the way to the competitors. I think I managed to get all bar two, although as there are a few shots I could not place, the missing two might be amongst them.
I expected to see you last week-end at GWSC but as has happened far too often this season, Mother Nature put pay to that event.

See you at the next one,

Cheers,

Nick
Keith Ball
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Keith Ball »

Cheers Bob.

Got mine in the post the next day. I've sent an order back.

Keith
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Sprint 15 photographed at Cowes Dinghy Week

Post by Robert »

Martin Searle wrote:I could give some people access to upload pictures to our website currently its Bob and me that have access. But it is a bit of a legal minefield, with copyrights and that sort of thing, so I don't really want to give everyone upload access.

Martin S.
I agree about the copyright issues and other stuff that could create unnecessary work. With photobox, people sign up themselves and upload their own pictures. They should not publish images which breach copyright. At the present time, the pictures can be shared with others who are invited to do so by the person who started the first album. This person can control who views the images. Anyone who has been invited to view the images can add their own album which they have already uploaded to the photobox website.

I'll test the idea by inviting Bob and Martin to view an album I have uploaded. If they think it is an OK idea to start with, maybe some other people could have a look. If there appear to be potential problems I'll shut up.

Robert (the terrier)
Robert England
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

Carl from Gurnard wrote:Hi Robert
For the records it is Pat Moore.
Very good point about prospective purchasers.

Carl
Thanks for the ID Carl. Apologies to Robin and Pat.

Cheers - Robert
Robert England
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Robert,
I had a look at your shots on Photobox. It seems mostly harmless to me provided people only post their personal pictures. As soon as someone scans or posts one which somebody else took it (particularly a professional photographer) it becomes a problem.
The few I have posted of the Nationals which were taken by Nick Champion I had his permission that I could use them to promote the Class on the website or in the magazine (but not to let people copy - hence they are not high resolution).
I'm not quite sure what you are proposing are you just planning to share your pics or are you hoping for some link through our web site. Were you anticipating other people adding their albums and getting links? Another approach would to be to allow you and a few others have links to load pictures on Sprint 15 pictures. I suspect not many would want to do it - just a few such as you, Chris Read, John Long, etc. once you have agreed / understood the copyright issue. This might be the easiest. One outcome since you are all sailors is it would dilute our pictures with many shore shots. We could give it a go and see how it works out.
I'll let Martin be the final arbiter as it is his domain.
Cheers
Bob
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Sprint 15 pictures

Post by Robert »

Well, I think the simplest solution is for anyone who has Sprint 15 pictures which they might like to share with others to say so via this chat site and to upload them personally to www.photobox.co.uk. Then if anyone wants to have a look at said pictures they could send a "private message" to the person who has posted the pictures, once again using this chat site.

It would go a bit like "Hey Robert, I'd like to have a look at the pictures you posted recently. My email address is blah blah. Please could you share them with me? Thanks"

I would then add the email address to the "shared with" list for my pictures and hey presto! You have to register to see the pics but there is no associated hassle and you can have 30 free pictures printed and 1gb of free storage space for your own pics.

Just a thought, anyway. No need for anyone to do anything official, it can all happen independently with the help of the chat pages to issue the invitation, so here's mine:

I HAVE A FEW PICTURES TAKEN AT GURNARD EARLIER THIS YEAR. IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM, PLEASE SEND ME A "PM" (PRIVATE MESSAGE) AND INCLUDE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. I PROMISE NOT TO USE YOUR INFORMATION INAPPROPRIATELY.

Robert
Robert England