The UK Dart 15 Association

Safest method for winching a Dart 15 up the beach?

Dart 15 Chat
Jaycb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Safest method for winching a Dart 15 up the beach?

Post by Jaycb »

When I eventually begin sailing at Seaford, there will be occasions when I'll have to tie on to the winch in order to get the boat back up the pebble beach.
Can anyone suggest the strongest/safest part of the boat to which one can fix a general towing/dragging line please?
In the Y&Y review it looks like one of the guys is pulling the boat out of the water using the bridle wire, which seems careless to me.
I was thinking to use either a rope looped around the ball joint on which the mast sits, or perhaps a rope bridle attached to the launching trolley.
I guess the advantage of having something on the boat is that it could help swinging the boat around in the shallows.
How do other Dart owners do this? :idea:
George Stephen
Captain
Captain

Winching a Sprint 15

Post by George Stephen »

At Queen Mary, with its 40 degree concrete block beach, we use winches quite a lot, especially when the water level is low!

Most of us wrap the line on the trolley round the "neck" of the ball on the main beam so that the trolley will remain in place, and then attach the winch line around the neck of the ball. A few brave souls don't have lines on their trolleys, and their cats come partly off their trolleys from time to time. A few attach the winch line to the trolley - either directly or to the trolley line.

Whichever way you do it, someone operates the winch while someone holds the cat "level" relative to the slope, and steers as necessary.

When manoeuvring ashore, I usually use the bridle wires to pull the cat along - but others pull the cat backwards using the rear beam. Remember that the bridle wires take a share of holding up the mast, so the chain plates are attached to a strengthened area of hull that ought to be more than capable of taking the strain of pulling the cat along. But you're sensible to be wary - the ball is the obvious strong point for winching.

Because we have pontoons at Queen Mary we also use painters. These are always attached round the neck of the ball, and usually led through a bridle wire eye or rigging link next to the hull before being tied off to the pontoon - so that the boat will ride easily while raising/lowering sails etc. That way the painter can be used easily on whichever side is best given the wind direction, and could also be used for towing in the unlikely event of that becoming necessary - eg a dismasting.
George 1594
Jaycb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jaycb »

Thanks George - very helpful advice.
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Jas

With a winch I'd certainly go for the mast ball as a strong point & also tying your trolley in place.

Many have a line from either side of the trolley bar that can be wrapped round the mast ball or clipped to a loop around the mast ball which them goes off under the tramp as part of the traveller (if you can't imagine this go to Marconi for their next event ! ).

For those of us on shallower surfaces the bridle wires are the usual form of moving the boat, often in conjunction with the trolley rope over the shoulder if it is long enough. You'll see plenty of that at the Thorpe Bay Nationals & that's tough shingle!!

I find I pull the boat with the rear beam on soft sand.
Charles
1942, Ingrid
Halifax SWC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Moving Boat - rudders and tiller/con bar

Post by Steve Willis »

Jas,

Whilst concentrating on hauling and moving the boat there are two other things not to be missed - or they can be expensive to repair/replace - the rudders and the tiller bar.

Firstly when coming ashore (final approach) unlock the rudders from the down position. Lift the rudder arm and pull it towards you so that the rudder is partly up. This is essential for shallow waters but even with steep shelving beaches if the boat slew around as you get off then at least the blade had some give if it grounds.

When ashore it is best to immediately remove the con bar and the rudders and place them on the tramp (making sure the tiller/con bar are not hanging over the side.

If you are moving on the trolley it is quite easy for the blades to unlatch and drop and sustain damage as you move the boat - especially if you are pulling it along at the bridle facing fowards and don't see them drop.

We have had a few tiller bars bent where they were hanging over the side as people wheel their boat down our ramp to the barrier posts or into the gate of the baot field.

In Northerly winds we get a lot of swell and most people sail straight onto the beach, jump off and turn the boat into the wind and you need to have the rudders unlatched to do this. As soon as the boat is grounded you can then pull on the con bar to latch both rudders up. I presume you may have a similar problem in southerlys where you are.

Steve
Jaycb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jaycb »

Hi Steve,
Yes, Seaford has a notorious shore dump at high tide and has claimed many a windsurfer's mast. Southerlies and south-westerlies are the ones to beware. If conditions are too hairy I won't bother going out.

Just out of interest, I wonder if anyone's tried putting Dart 16 rudders on a Dart 15? With their elastic thingies they're pretty near indestructible unless you whack them sideways.
Duncan Ford
Warrant Officer (Class Two)
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Post by Duncan Ford »

Hi Charles.

A bit unfair to say Thorpe Bay has "tough shingle".

We have a good stretch of beach next to the club which is a mix of sand and shingle but quite skeg friendly. (See photo on Nationals info on this web site)

For those who choose to launch off the beach there is about 10/15 yards of softer shingle between the bottom of the stone ramp and the firmer sand, but no trouble for a fit Sprint 15 sailor and quite ok for the narrow wheeled trolleys especially if there are helping hands about - and there will be plenty.

I usually rig on the grass by the boat park and launch off our wooden launching ramp. You can then easily sail onto the beach pre race if you wish.

On the question of moving the boats, I have had new rigging this year and incorporated approx 9in of plastic coating on each bridle wire, to make pulling the boat more hand friendly. Also, you should be more careful pulling on the bridles with the older boats, as the chain plates are thinner and tend to bend more easily.

Duncan Ford TBYC 1973
Richard C
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Richard C »

I've just learned all about winching my Dart 15 - the hard way!

I had my first sail this week end at Bexhill SC, the beach has a very steep slope of loose shingle so winching is essential.

For my first attempt I looped the winch line around the trolley axle and then watched the trolley get dragged up the beach, without the boat. :oops:

For my second attempt I looped the winch line around the mast base/ball and then watched my boat being dragged up the beach without the trolley. :oops:

For my final attempt I tied the trolley axle to the mast base and the winch line also to the mast base and used the bridle wires to guide the boat and keepthe hulls clear of the ground. :D

Needless to say - option 3 seems to be the best.

Richard C
Jaycb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jaycb »

Thanks Richard - useful advice.
So come on them, I'd love to hear a full report of your thoughts on your first session - was it what you expected? Any pitfalls you discovered? Any gems of advice? I'm really intersted as i've still not been out on mine yet - spent Saturday avo replacing the hatches and a few more scratches.
Richard C
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Richard C »

My first sail - this was my first time on a cat and my first time helming a dinghy since RYA2 some years ago. Light winds blowing 2-3 and I sailed una-rig (solo with no jib).

The boat seemed very quick to power up and start moving and surpisingly manouverable. Within the first couple of hours (with help from some cat experts at Bexhill SC) I was tacking, gybing and sailing up and down wind without any problem.

The wind dropped a little and I stalled a couple of times in the tack - soon worked out how to reverse the rudders and turn the bow back to wind. Also learned to keep the water line level (staying forward) and best place for the traveller on the beat and run. Only small problem is keep the turn smooth and progressive whilst passing the tiller extension behind the main sheet - takes some practice.

It all felt very easy but also excellent fun. I had enough confidence after the first session in the morning to enter a club race in the afternoon. Although I crossed the finish line in last place I wasn't one of the 8 boats that retired.

Some tips - for first time out stick to light winds, find some space and practice tacks and gybes, practice pulling the rudders up in deep water (don't wait until your approaching the beach on the way back in).

Hope this helps. There a 3 Dart 15s at Bexhill and many more 16s, 18s and the odd Hobie, its a great place for cat sailing and friendly club.

Let me know how you get on.

Richard.
Jaycb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jaycb »

Cheers Richard, will do.