The UK Dart 15 Association

Heavy Steering

Dart 15 Chat
Richard C
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Heavy Steering

Post by Richard C »

I've just had my second sail in Spark 198 and I'm starting to notice that the steering feels heavy, particulalry bearing away from the wind. Also, the boat feels like it wants to head into wind and it takes alot of force on the rudders to bear away.

Is this because the mast is raked too far back, not enough tension on the forestay, too much tension on the shrowds?

Any thoughts, thanks

Richard
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Yes it could be.
If you have standard shroud lengths try being in the 3rd hole in the adjusters from the top. When the setting is right and you heave in really hard on the main sheet it should just about be going block to block on the main sheet. If the blocks touch before you have really heaved hard try raking the mast further forward.
Another thing to watch out for is the fore & aft trim (or where you sit). Make sure that the water line on the boat is about right wrt the water (level). If you sit too far forward it will head up. When you have got the mast rake right and the fore and aft trim right you can take your hands off the tiller and the boat keeps going in a straight line.
Cheers
Bob
Brian Phipps
Commodore
Commodore

heavy steering

Post by Brian Phipps »

Hi, May be also take a look at your rudders, put them on the back of the boat and move the trolley so taht the bow is down and the rudders can be lowered. Then when teh rudders are locked down test the movement fore and aft, if the shoulder washers from teh rudder bolt are worn or broken this will allow the blade to move back in the stock and create weather helm. In most cases the rudder blade wants to be held firmly in the front of the stock at the bottom.
All repalacement parts are avalible from the windsport catparts website.
Brian Windsport
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Rudder Pads

Post by Steve Willis »

Also worth checking that you still have the small rubber pads in the bottom of the A frame into which the blade pushes when down - as this helps prevent movement (and damage to the blade).

I replaced all our pads with 2.5mm neoprene pads, glued in with Evostik, as it is much harder wearing than the original material on the older boats

Steve