The UK Dart 15 Association

Towing

Dart 15 Chat
Richard C
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Towing

Post by Richard C »

I am towing my Dart 15 for the first time this week between Bexhill and New Quay, Dyfed (for two weeks sailing holiday) and I'm borrowing a Dart 18 trailer for the trip.

Can anyone offer advice about how to position the boat on the trailer, tying it down, how to carry the mast (2 piece), whether to keep the covers on, how to carry the sails and foils (there'll be no room in the car).

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Richard (No 198 regularly competing at Bexhill)
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

You will get many different answers to this as everyone does it differently.

If you want no stuff in the car your only options are:

1) make sure you borrow a trailer with a trailer box. Most of us have made one big enough for sails, rudders, covers, etc.

2) think about hiring a roof rack with a big box attached

If you are borrowing a Dart 18 trailer make sure that you borrow the trailer board as well. It fits on the pintels (most fit 15,18, etc) and has the support for the mast. The mast can then stay in one piece between the 2 mast props. Otherwise you have to split the mast and lash it to the beams with some protective cusioning (strips of carpet) wrapped around to prevent metal to metal contact. Leave off the cover (as it flaps and can self destruct if it is getting weak) and tie the trolley upside down across the bows. The boat should be pretty central about the trailer wheels and positioned so that there is a small DOWNLOAD of about 20lbs on the hitch of the car. Do not forget to tie at least one rope from the front beam of the boat backwards to the trailer such that it prevents the boat shooting foreward if you brake hard.

Finally make sure that you keep the spare wheel, a wheel nut spanner and a jack readily accessible so you do not have to onload boat or car if you get a puncture.

Cheers

Bob