The UK Dart 15 Association

certificates

Dart 15 Chat
Stormy
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

certificates

Post by Stormy »

to go racing this year down at Abersoch they're asking for measuring certificates for my Sprint..........(is it cos I keep winning?)

anyhow....does anyone know how and where I can get such a document?

thanks Richard
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Interesting

Post by Steve Willis »

Hi,

Interesting that this raises it head now. Our CRO for the Seasalter TT has been querying the comment made by Charles under the 'Seasalter TT' thread that I started.

We don't have one for Joan's boat either and I have never changed mine to my name.

After debate re the TT we have decided that Rule 78.1 applies but not the other two paragraphs of that rule.

For those sailing against other classes in club racing this could become more of a problem. Committee comment ???

The class rules say that for events the Association will appoint an inspector and the host club just have to provide space for measurement which is fine for single class events. If anyone raises a query re equipment or boat at the TT we will have to bow to the Association appointed Inspector to resolve the matter - is there one?

Steve
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi
Don't worry about it. Many boats do not have certificates* - even the new ones do not have them. We do not ask for them to be shown at any event.
Cheers
Bob
* many have been lost and the Laser Centre were not interested in keeping them up to date so they are not even proof of ownership :wink:
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

In the case of the Sprints, there is only one manufacturer, one business that assemble and market them, one sailmaker. Everything can be bought off the shelf. There is very little scope for manipulation of the rules, so a certificate is not necessary. This is an attractive feature of the Sprints! :D

In some classes, the position is different. Finns, Albacores, Solos, Dragons, and many others will have different suppliers. Indeed, some boats are made of wood, fibreglass or composites. There can be different suppliers of sails and masts. In such cases, a measurement certificate is a necessity. Not so, with the Sprints.

Moreover, whenever you enter a race or sign a declaration, you are confirming your boat conforms to class rules.
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...
Duncan Ford
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

measurement

Post by Duncan Ford »

Andrew - You are right that there is little scope for manipulation with Sprints. However, a lot of the older boats are now having professional and amateur repairs to the hulls, and in particular the skegs. Whilst there would be no suggestion of deliberate breach in our Class - perish the thought! - there may be scope for innocent over ambitious repairs perhaps increasing skeg depth and upwind performance?

Bob - Is there actually a set of measurements members can view anywhere with perhaps the max measurement from deck to skeg bottom, so that we can be sure our boats are Class legal, and that any repairs are also? Do the professional repairers work by eye or to a measurement?

Duncan Ford TBYC 1973
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Duncan
No we in the Association do not have such dimensions. Our rules are on this website. The coverall is the 15 boat rule. i.e. if there is any dispute if one boat is different to 15 others then it can be ruled out of class.
Cheers
Bob
Duncan Ford

Post by Duncan Ford »

Understood Bob. Hadn't heard of the 15 boat rule. Makes sense.

If we see a boat with overdeep skegs we'll compare it with the rest of our fleet!

Thanks. Best wishes and hope to see you at TBYC again before too long.

Duncan

TBYC 1973
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

non stretch string required

Post by Steve Willis »

Yes sounds fine - checking against the 'majority'.

A couple of years ago I carved a wooden template that lies along the skeg line from the rear transom edge to just over the bend of the deepest part of the skeg.

I use that when re building the skegs at the end of the season. I used several of the newest boats at the club as guides to get it right. If skegs were built up it would not lie on the curve all the way along.

A couple of others have borrowed it to do their re gelcoating as well.

Steve