Seasalter TT - April

Dart 15 Chat
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Seasalter TT - April

Post by Steve Willis »

Hi all,

I have had one request for the NOR and entry form for Seasalter.

My apologies that it is not posted yet, I am awaiting confirmation, from our Rules guru, of the changes (if any) I need to make to the NOR and SIs in relation to the new Racing Rules.

Hopefully all will be sorted at our committee meeting on 15th with posting very soon after.

The good news is that our new solar water heating system is up and running with 3 times the hot water storage, so if we have weather like last year we can bathe in luxury.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Steve
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Steve

I happened to be browsing the new RRS recently as there has been some debate on starting procedure at Halifax SC.

As I was browsing I noticed Rule 78.1 which I personally believe should be used for Sprint events, as the "if any" measurement certificate clause (in my mind) allows for those of us who have lost the original cert or bought a boat without one. I know nobody ever asks to see them, but I always think when I read the SIs that the requirement to produce would technically catch most competitors out & if applied regularly would also make boats without certs virtually worthless, as a new cert cannot be obtained.

The reality, of course, is that the class committee would rapidly come up with a solution in the unlikely event of any club refusing entry to a boat without a cert.
Charles
1942, Ingrid
Halifax SWC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Rule 78

Post by Steve Willis »

Hi Charles,

Yes. I have always included Rule 78 in its entirety for open meetings - relying on rule 78.1

As I understand things the TT is held by the local club not the Association, although the Association provides clear guidelines for TT events (what is expected to be included).

Neither I or our RCO would request measurment certificates (I only have one for our two boats !). However in the event of a protest regarding class rules we would have to refer the matter to the Association rules.

I agree there is a growing absence of certificates and perhaps this needs to be clarified in the Association rules - i.e. what is expected.

Perhaps the committee may wish to comment further.

Thanks for raising the matter, now is the time to sort it out.

All the best

Steve
SSCBen
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by SSCBen »

Hi all
I'll be down for the TT at Seasalter.
Even if term does start on the Monday...
Skegs Akimbo sails again.
hope all is going well
Ben
Spark 252 "Skegs Akimbo"
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Ben, ain't life just so hard, having to do some work on a Monday morning...
Charles
1942, Ingrid
Halifax SWC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

SSC ben sails again

Post by Steve Willis »

Good to hear you will be on the water and not down a hole for a change Ben.

At least it looks like the road will be open again. The Graveney Road is closed every night next week to complete the cable duct laying from Faversham through to Whitstable.

Just finished re-aligning both our 15s (mine was toeing in 16mm at the bows compared with the stern and one bow was 2cm higher than the other). Joan's had toe out on the rudders due to misalignment of the top rudder fitting on one hull and a bent pintle on the other. Also sorting out all 6 rudders - much damage to the bottom of the rudder blades in the heavy seas last season, one of the 18 rudders split open at the bottom.

I have now got the rudders so there is no fore-aft movement on the blades as well.

You haven't gone and polished your boat again have you?

Steve
SSCBen
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by SSCBen »

As soon as i get home the polisher will be whirring.
Which won't be for a while. Conferences in Italy, week long theatre "work" in Scarborough, then i have to apparently do some degree work for a couple of weeks. Tough times.

But i'll be back around the 19th April. The pubs had better be ready...

Glad to hear that your 15s are still flying, you couldn't add a little weight to them, could you. I noticed last year they were dangerously high in the water
:lol:

See ya'll on the water.
Spark 252 "Skegs Akimbo"
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Higher boats

Post by Steve Willis »

Hi ben,

Yes, since I had Peter Barnard repair the holes in the hulls I don't take on much water so the ride is much better! I'm hoping having parallel hulls and rudders this season may also help meet the need for speed.

Much work done at the weekend work party with about 30 people turning up, new rudder rack and sail locker shelves, new outdoor storage area for buoys and trollies, solar water heating and rework of galley storage and even the club room floor was refinished and the field was cut. Everyone now rearing to go for next Saturday.
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

NOR for Seasalter TT

Post by Steve Willis »

Had it all ready to post on the site today but mentioned Charles's post re measuring to the CRO now he is checking if we need to change the NOR.

Hopefully it will be posted in the next 2 days.

Sorry all.

Steve
SSCBen
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by SSCBen »

Hi Steve,
Could i have a NOR and entry form for the Seasalter event?
Also, am i still a member or am i going to have to give you money as well as the 15 association? Remember, every £ i give you is a £ off my degree.

Actually thats a lie, every £ i give is a £ less in the pub.
Cheers
Spark 252 "Skegs Akimbo"
SSCBen
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by SSCBen »

Scrub that, found the NOR
Spark 252 "Skegs Akimbo"
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Seasalter Ben

Post by Steve Willis »

Hi Ben,

Glad to hear you are coming. We are moving most of our 15s onto the beach tomorrow (or at least by Friday next) so the field is clearer. Eric still needs to gelcoat his skegs so I am letting have my brushing gelcoat.

I will be taking my 'boat table' down as well. There are mutterings that I must have done something right realigning my boat over the winter as I have had 3 firsts and 3 thirds in 8 races. One first kept KD to second as well (but he and I were trying out different rig positions and tensions over Easter).

Check out the club website, Martin is doing an excellent job on it and is now putting the results on it in the same way as on this site - and about 2-3 hours after sailing.

Sorry about the drinks deficit, I remember how much that hurts mid term, but SSC members have to pay as well.

Steve
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Steve

YOu're just trying to psych the opposition out with all your talk of changing your sey up & testing different mast rakes!

Good strategy!
Charles
1942, Ingrid
Halifax SWC
SSCBen
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by SSCBen »

So my polished hulls will be for nothing then Steve? Sigh.

I was wondering whetehr i was still a member of SSC because i can't remember (all those cheques exiting my house)
Spark 252 "Skegs Akimbo"
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

This is just a quick reminder that our Summer TT Series kicks off next weekend at Seasalter Sailing Club. It is also the first event which qualifies for our new sponsorship deal with Windsport. For full details see below:

SEASALTER SAILING CLUB

The Windsport/Catparts Sprint 15 / Sprint 15 Sport Summer TT Regatta

Saturday April 25th – Sunday April 26th , 2009

Register in the Club bar on the Friday evening from 19:00 to 21:00 and from 10:00 on each day of racing until 45 minutes before the scheduled warning signal for the first race of the day.

The entry fee will be £20 per boat.

Briefing: Saturday 25th April 11:45

The scheduled time of the warning signal for the first race on each day is:

Saturday 25th April 12:25 Sunday 26th April 12:55

2 races are planned each day

Meals and refreshments will be available in the Club as follows:

Breakfast (£3) available on Saturday 25th April and Sunday 26th April from 08:30 to 10:00

Evening Meal (£6.50) in the club room on Saturday 25th April from 19:00 to 20:00

Light Refreshments (at galley prices) from the galley from 10:00 to 15:00 each day of racing

The Club bar will be open for sales as follows:

19:00 to 23:00 Friday 24th April

12:00 to 23:30 Saturday 25th April

12:00 to 17:00 Sunday 26th April

This will be the first event which qualifies for our new sponsorship from Windsport, so why not come and win a Catparts voucher and get a raffle ticket for a new set of sails for your boat? For full details see below:

Win a new set of sails for your boat - Windsport to increase sponsorship of Sprint 15 Traveller Events :D

We are happy to announce that Windsport have agreed a new level of sponsorship for our Sprint 15 traveller events. The top prize will be full set of new Sprint 15 sails which will be raffled to all Sprint 15 Association members who take part in our events during the 2009-2010 season. We will allocate a raffle ticket each time you enter one of our events and we will then draw the winner out of a hat. This will apply to the Summer Series, both National Championships, the training event and the Winter Series - so if you enter 6 events you will get 6 chances to win the sails. The draw will be at the final qualifying event which is at Grafham in March 2010.

Additionally at each of the Summer Series there will be Catparts vouchers of £15, £10 and £5 to be drawn from a hat of entrants at each event and at both National Championships there will be Catparts vouchers of £30, £20 and £10 also to be drawn from the list of competitors. These vouchers can be spent on replacement parts, coaching or sailing kit from Windsport. So at each of our traveller events through the summer the entrants will receive two www.catparts.windsport.co.uk sticker to stick on each side of the bottom third of your mast* and a raffle ticket for the sail draw. The draw for the vouchers will take place based on your entrance number (or tally number)** at the prize giving.

Additionally Windsport have agreed to provide a stock of parts to be sold at our events to keep the competitors going when breakages occur. It will also be a good way of avoiding postage on such items as battens which are expensive to post. Windsport also plan to be present for both National Championships during 2009.

The Summer Traveller Series will be called The Windsport Catparts Sprint 15 Traveller Series and it is our intention that this gets good press coverage when we submit our race reports.

We are very pleased with this extension to the sponsorship and we would like to point out that Windsport is the official supplier of genuine class legal Sprint 15 parts. They are also our sole supplier for new boats. Please give them your support whenever you can.

* please keep these stickers on your mast throughout the season.

** sail numbers of the competitors might be used if it is more convenient.