The UK Dart 15 Association

Double Stacking

Dart 15 Chat
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Double Stacking

Post by Andrew Hannah »

Does anybody have experience of double-stacking Sprints? In particular if there are any pitfalls, tyre pressures for car and trailer, and anything else.

Also, what packing material would you use between the hulls of one boat and the one on top?
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Andrew,
It's a piece of cake. You need 4 blocks of high density polyurethane foam about 3 inches thick. The sort used for furniture cushions is ideal - cut up the old sofa or buy new from Dunelm Warehouse, etc. I have seen car tyres used but they are heavy, ugly and can leave black marks on the boats. Strap the bottom boat to the trailer securely before putting the second boat on top. Put the cushion pads on each beam housing so that they are mostly in front of the beam. Turn the second boat upside down (best with 4 bods) and place carefully on top of the cushions such that the top boat is about 8 inches further forward of the second boat and that the beam housings rest on the foam blocks. It is important to be careful of the main sheet block and traveller as it is easy to bend the traveller cleating arrangement on the lower boat by putting the top boat too far aft and ontop of the traveller. It is best to take off the mainsheet assembly of the lower boat.
Now tie the top boat firmly to the trailer. It is worth tieing the two boats together at the rear beams to stop the top boat shooting forward when you brake.
The tyre pressures depend on the size of wheels. I used to use 55psi in small 8" wheels on my trailer but bigger wheels take less. If you are using the trailer you bought from George I think we used to use about 45psi in that when 2-upping. Maybe George can remember. It has been use 2 boats -up many times.
Cheers
Bob
PS Is this so that you can bring 2 boats to the Nationals? :wink:
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Over at Thorpe Bay, we hope to double-up, for the long journey (for us) to Pentewan. Some of us don't relish the drive, which is why we dithered for so long.

A further question please. Will there be space for some extra tents? None of us were at Pentewan in 2003.
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...
Frank
Grub Guru
Grub Guru

Post by Frank »

Also make sure you cover both mast balls to avoid getting grease on the tramps.
Mike_Ward
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

camping

Post by Mike_Ward »

Andrew Hannah wrote:Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Over at Thorpe Bay, we hope to double-up, for the long journey (for us) to Pentewan. Some of us don't relish the drive, which is why we dithered for so long.

A further question please. Will there be space for some extra tents? None of us were at Pentewan in 2003.
Please see the posting under Pentewan accommodation
Mike Ward
SailingSecretary
Pentewan Sands Sailing Club
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

SSC double stack

Post by Steve Willis »

Dave and Jack Turnbull have just double stacked 1259 and 1180 for the trip from Folkestone to Pentewan - their first time so comments will also be gratefully received by them I'm sure.

Young Jack (1180) looks like he will be another Kevin. He wiped the floor with us last weekend on his first cup series, with father Dave in hot pursuit after he tweaked his battens.
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Two up on a trailer

Post by Kevin Parvin »

What sort of weight do you have on the ball hitch two up.

Kevin 1615
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: SSC double stack

Post by Bob Carter »

Steve Willis wrote:Dave and Jack Turnbull have just double stacked 1259 and 1180 for the trip from Folkestone to Pentewan - their first time so comments will also be gratefully received by them I'm sure.

Young Jack (1180) looks like he will be another Kevin. He wiped the floor with us last weekend on his first cup series, with father Dave in hot pursuit after he tweaked his battens.
Good show. I see that they are both down for the go-karts too. Kevin really will be jealous..............
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Two up on a trailer

Post by Bob Carter »

Kevin Parvin wrote:What sort of weight do you have on the ball hitch two up.

Kevin 1615
Hi Kevin,
I have always targeted about the same load on the hitch as trailing 1-up. About 20 - 30 lbs downwards. This is achieved by getting the balance point about right. Any less than this and I find that towing is not so stable (more inclined to wobble).
Cheers
Bob
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kevin Dutch »

Your right Bob i am extremly jealous but i'll be at netley next year.
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kevin Dutch »

Your right Bob i am extremly jealous but i'll be at netley next year.
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938