Any advice on leaking hull

Dart 15 Chat
Richard C
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Any advice on leaking hull

Post by Richard C »

Hi,

I've been sailing Spark 198 most weekends since March 2008 without any problems. Following a particularly spectacular capsize and invert in August my port side hull seems to be taking on a lot of water each time I sail. The hatch seals look OK and the seals around the tiller pins/brackets all look good. There's no visible damage - am I missing anything obvious?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Richard.
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Richard,
Quite an old boat - that one (over 30 years). Try looking along the skegs (turn it upsidedown or on it's side to do this) also check that the trampoline retaining extrusions are still soundly riveted to the hull and it is not loose. If these don't work you have to blow into a hull and see where the air is coming out. To do this it is best to drill a hole in a spare hatch cover and squeeze a bit of tube through the hole. You need 2 people. One to blow and the other to feel/listen for the leak. If it is subtle you may have to use soap water solution and a brush - like with a tyre/tube puncture.
Best of Luck
Bob
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Flexing of hull when righting

Post by Steve Willis »

Also have a good look along underneath where the hull meets the decking under the tramp rails.

If you stand in the middle of the hull when righting you can flex the hull and possibly cause cracking at the join.

Also check along the beam sockets on top of the deck (front and rear of each socket). As I understand it, whilst there is a 'flange' on the top of the hull sides on which the deck sits, there is no flange across the deck where the sockets fit and ou local repair man said he has had a few in with leaks around the socket/deck join.

It seems a lot of old Sparks are getting back on the water regularly, we've now got 9 out of our fleet of 20 15s.

Steve
Richard C
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Richard C »

Thanks both for the tips, I'll take a good look at the hulls on the weekend.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only old Spark knocking about, I do get a lot of pleasure from it and regularly beat some of the 16s at Bexhill. I also took it to Wales for the Cardigan Bay regatta this year and attracted a lot of attention on the beach - especially when I explained that its 1970s vintage.
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Spark land

Post by Steve Willis »

Joan and I have 842 and 756 but we have also have 191 and 252 amongst the older Sparks. Most of us have done quite a bit to refurbish them over the last few years.

Richard,

My 756 had 4 inch holes in both hulls along the skeg line after spending a few years remming the beach to get ashore at Sandwich, before I bought it, but it was repaired by Peter Barnard, our local repair man in Seasalter.

Two years ago I bought a power polisher from e-bay and obtained some fine polishing paste from a local fibreglass sign and sink manufacturer (and some brushing gelcoat - much better than the tubes of paste). I did both the 15s and our 18 in about 5 hours a boat and they really came up shiny - especially the blue stripes on thr Sparks (they are gelcoat not stuck on).

Seeing as you are relatively local to Seasalter you might like to come over some time - Sprint 15 TT in July next year - we welcome visitors any time for sailing and have plenty of space for camping in our field. The club bar is open friday nights and a meal can be obtained by prior arrangement.

I hope you find the source of water ingress - my holes had been hidden by fibreglass taoe and it was a while before I got round to stripping it all off to have proper repairs done.

Best wishes

Steve
Richard C
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Richard C »

Hi Steve

Thanks for the encouragement. My hull took on a lot of water this morning but I spotted it running back out through a small hole in the stern. Its more of a crack than a hole but should be an easy repair. Any tips on what I can used to patch it from the inside - its easy to access through the hatch.

I'd like to visit Sea Salter, as yet I've not sailed competitively against other 15's. There are four at Bexhill but two are permanently birthed and the other is for sale.

I looked at Sea Salter club website and it looks like the racing finishes at the end of October - is there any sailing through the winter? If not I'll be sure to come over in the spring.

Thanks

Richard
Steve Willis
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Seasalter Sailing

Post by Steve Willis »

Hi Richard,

Presumably the water was coming out near the bottom pintle fitting - often an area of stress fracturing on the hull join. It would be best to talk to one of the experts (Steve Sawford for example) or if you e-mail me on 'ssc at ehvpa dot com' (convert to standard e-mail address !!!) I can give you Peter Barnard's number.

I had to do one of mine and had to thoroughly clean inside with detergent and then acetone and then layer up some fibreglass matting and then grind away the external gelcoat in the area of the cracks and then re gelcoat the area. I filled in the pintle holes and then re drilled them (making sure the rudder was vertical). You may need to get new longer stainless steel screws for the pintle mounting.

Yes I'm afraid we pack up for the year on 1st November as northerly winds and cold water make it all a bit lumpy and cold for sailing in the winter- I don't like to put the patrol boat crews through hell for just a few of the most hardy. We start again in mid March. I am just starting to sort out the sailing programme for 2010 and it will be posted on the SSC web site as soon as I can get it to Martin Searle.

We normally get about 7-10 Sparks and Sprints out most sailing days (with 3-5 Dart 18s in the same fleet) - about 40% of our total cat fleet. We also have a club 15 which members can hire for the day by booking with the club bosun beforehand. At present the dinghies and cats start together (with the same problems mentioned in another forum thread at present) but the cats sail a different (longer) course and cats and dinghies are in different fleets. I am thinking of letting the dinghies off at the 1 minute signal next year - like Halifax.

I am sure you would enjoy sailing with us as we have a full range of experience from first year cat sailors up to class national meeting winners - and everyone tries to help each other (often with background mirth....).

If you do e-mail could you let me know any details you have for the boat for sale at Bexhill - I think we will need another 2-3 Sprint 15s next year (three more added this year of which 2 were Sparks).

Look forward to meeting you.

Steve
Jaycb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jaycb »

Hi Richard,
I can thoroughly recommend Steve Sawford as a source of materials - I've bought a fair bit of gelcoat from him in the past and he always matches up the colour perfectly.
I recently had to do a repair to my tail end after a collision and did just as Steve Willis suggests. Thouroughly clean, then build up some new glass on the inside. In my case I wanted a bit of reinforcement for the gudgeon area so glassed in a small piece of 1.6mm FR4 laminate (the fibreglass sheet stuff they make printed circuit boards from). I later filled both gudgeon mounting holes from the outside and re-drilled. I found that the standard length bolts from Catparts were still long enough to re-fit the gudgeon.
By the way, I found it very difficult to put on more than a couple of laminations of glass sheet at a time as it sticks to everything. In then end I had a strong repair but a helluva mess inside the hull, and I had to snip off protruding bits of glass & resin with some cutters and then painted on some gelcoat to hide the worst of it and protect my hands from scratching during "sponging outs"
On the outside, it was just a case of again doing as Steve suggests and cutting away any cracked gelcoat - you'll be srprised how much the rotten stuff can extend especially if it's got water under it. Then I put three coats of gelcoat on over a weekend and left it. The next week I spent a couple of hours sanding it back smooth with finer and finer wet-n-dry, finally finishing off with T-cut for a super glossy finish.
:D