The UK Dart 15 Association

West Mersea Trailer Box

Dart 15 Chat
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

West Mersea Trailer Box

Post by Charles »

Has anyone got the largest galvanised West Mersea trailer box, 10'x3'x1' ?

If so does it do a good job & is it rugged enough for the trials & tribulations of a Sprint15er & family?

I'm looking to replace my home made box which is falling apart with a box-for-life.

Thanks
Charles
1942, Ingrid
Halifax SWC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Keith Ball
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Keith Ball »

Hi Charles,

Had one for a few years & was very glad to see the back of it!

Despite being pleased with the quality of the trailer itself & the fact I see plenty of these boxes about, I couldn't get on with it. Had the box replaced with one of Steve Sawford's first fibre glass ones;
http://www.speedysports.co.uk/item-Sail_Box97.html
(The black one in the photos is actually mine!)

The 'dual lids' of my West Mersea galvanised box were very thin & not supported/strengthened in any way. It consequently buckled/creased, particulalry where the 2 lids join, allowing water in - especially when trailing. It's sharp edges are also lethal to any stray body parts & clothing.

Will be at Netley should you wish to inspect my new one.

Keith Ball
Kevin Parvin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Trailer boxes

Post by Kevin Parvin »

Hi Charles

I had the prototype Steve Sawford fibre glass trailer box. When not attached to the trailer it lives in the garage with all the sprint 15 gear locked away and secure inside (and free from mouse attack).

My trailer hasn't moved for some time and so I have taken the opportunity to strip down the wheel hubs/bearings etc. A messy job but vital to avoid disaster on the motorway

Kevin
Keith
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Keith »

Dear Charles,
I got one of Steve's boxes too. It keeps the kit dry and mine is outside all year round. The base is quite thick and is designed so that you can screw various fittings into it, if you want to. The main bennefit is that you don 't have to build one, from experience Im not a wood worker :shock: Also it does not need varnishing, after winter it was filthy dirty, but 5 minutes with a sponge and it was all shiny again.

Keith 1840
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Thanks for the responses guys.

Keith B, good advice, perhaps West Mersea would benefit from your feedback? Someone did tell me they were built to a price & your experience backs this up.

I've spoken to Steve S about his shuttle, but one simply isn't big enough for my purposes & 2 of them are a bit expensive. I'd jump at one twice the width though.
Charles
1942, Ingrid
Halifax SWC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

I reckon that it is time to get the woodworking tools out, Charles.
It is a nice little project for the summer :P
Cheers
Bob
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Not enough time before holidays & then nationals, & I'm not sure the current box will manage to get all the way down the M1 !
Charles
1942, Ingrid
Halifax SWC
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

Hi Charles
I have an 8x2x1 West Mersea box which I bought from Purple Marine a few years ago. I have been very happy with it but I suspect it would not be quite large enough for you. It cost £200 when I bought it and I collected it from the shop without any delivery charge from West Mersea. Now here's the thing: two blokes carried it out from the back of the shop and one of them said "Where do you want this, then?" I had an X-Trail with roof bars so I asked for it to be put there and lashed it down for the journey home. It wasn't until I got home that I realised that it was really quite heavy...
So a 10x3x1 box would be quite a weight, I guess.