The UK Dart 15 Association

Pimping my ride

Dart 15 Chat
Andrew Gregory
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Pimping my ride

Post by Andrew Gregory »

I have been sailing my newly acquired Sprint 15 regularly for about the last 7-weeks. In this time I have had the thrill of sailing the sprint in breeze :D , and been out sailed by most of the club's mono-hull fleet in light winds :( .

In preparation for the winter events I thought I would take the boat home and treat it to some improvements/tweaks. Most of these alterations will be psychological, but I thought I would ask the forum members before I spent my hard earned sailing vouchers.

1. Are there any restriction on the rigging of the downhaul control line? I was thinking of fitting a simple elastic take up system or maybe a more complicated Y-shaped control line (with elastic take-up on the tails) allowing adjustment from both sides of the boat.

2. Can I replace my heavy mainsheet & traveller lines with one thinner piece of rope?

3. Is there any restriction on the location/number of tell-tales on the main sail? I am looking to fit additional ones to the luff and leech to help highlight when the roach of the sail is hooking.

Any comments (helpful and jovial) will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Andrew Gregory
SN 1958
Andy B
Warrant Officer (Class Two)
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Re: Pimping my ride

Post by Andy B »

Even for you Andy I think you'll get out sailed in the light stuff when up against mono hulls, it's a cat thing :)

Regarding the downhaul the rules now say you are allowed a three to one assembly with cleating and turning blocks, but other than that it got to be as per the original manual, here's some more details of the allowed set up http://www.shanklinsailingclub.com/cont ... n_Haul.php

Your allowed to have a mainsheet that is between 8mm and 10mm, but be aware that if you have the new style blocks (black plastic ones) that any rope smaller than 10mm will probably need to be whipped on the end so that it clamps up in the block securely. Also fine to have one continous main/traveller sheet and no length restrictions.

Here's a link to the rules http://www.sprint15.com/rules/Sprint15C ... 2010v3.pdf

Andy
Dart 15, 1899 , Stewartby SC
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Andrew Gregory wrote:I have been sailing my newly acquired Sprint 15 regularly for about the last 7-weeks. In this time I have had the thrill of sailing the sprint in breeze :D , and been out sailed by most of the club's mono-hull fleet in light winds :( .

Many thanks
Andrew Gregory
SN 1958
Hi Andy, yes sailing against monohulls in light winds is not a strong point of cats. Cats are slow to manoevre so cannot take advantage of wind shifts, you cannot roll tack so get no extra drive when tacking, you cannot sail heeled over to promote a good sail shape in really light winds, etc, etc. It is better to disregard the monos on such days and just consider the other Sprint 15s as the competition. You must be getting nearly enough Sprint 15s at Stewartby to gain fleet status and get your own start. That is the ideal solution. Also of course the Sprint 15 opens are good and every one is in the same situation in light winds.
Cheers
Bob
Andrew Gregory
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Andrew Gregory »

Thanks for the comments Bob and Andy.

You are correct Bob. We normally have a decent turnout of 4-6 Sprints for most races at Stewartby; particularly when it is windy. The fleet is progressing in size and quality, with there being many different race winners. The plan is to get a few more of us travelling to the winter TT races to support the other opens now.

Andrew Gregory