Dart 15 Chat
Kyle Stoneham
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

1 Piece Mast Swap

Post by Kyle Stoneham »

hi all,

Does anyone have a 1 piece mast they would swap for a 2 piece + some cash
Mast i'm swapping is from sprint 1918, condition is reasonable with a few marks where it may have rubbed on the back beam when de-rigged at some point. No problems to affect performance.
Crazysurf
Warrant Officer (Class Two)
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Re: 1 Piece Mast Swap

Post by Crazysurf »

Starting to get serious then Kyle :-)
Kyle Stoneham
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Kyle Stoneham »

looks like i must be :wink:
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Kyle,
Masts are in short supply and new ones are expensive but there are a few options.

You could buy either 616 or 755 from our for sale section (as they are both close you could view both and pick the best). You could then swap masts with 1918 and then sell the old boat with the split mast at about what you paid for it. You could even break up the old boat and sell the bits to make a small profit and get to keep both masts. The disadvantage is that you get quite an old one piece mast..........

Another option would to buy a new mast at about £1040 and then sell the split mast which might fetch £500. Brian tells me that the new masts are UK built again now.

I know Liam is currently thinking about getting another mast. It might be worth chatting to him. I'm not sure what he plans for his old mast if he goes through with it. :wink:
Just a few thoughts.
Are you coming to Grafham on 22/23 October or Mothing?

Cheers
Bob
Kyle Stoneham
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by Kyle Stoneham »

cheers Bob, all very good ideas.
I don't really have space or time for the extra boat at the moment, I will rig her as she is and see what the 2 piece is like to sail with.

What are the bend characteristics like on the newest 1 piece compared to older ones? Stiffer, softer, the same?

Re: Grafham, is it the Inlands too or just a TT?
I really ought to be sailing the moth as there is an event the following weekend then the boats are going in a container to Bermuda so my days to practise before the big event in december are numbered. That said the tides at Thorpe Bay that weekend do not allow me to get out anyway so who knows...
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Hi Kyle,
I have only heard good reports of the new masts. The last 3 Nationals have been won by new boats (with the new masts).
I have never sailed with a new mast so it is better that someone that has one comments on how they compare.
You have at least 2 at Thorpe Bay (Gerald Sverdloff & Jim Bowie).

Yes, Grafham is the Inland Championships that you last won in 2008.
I only hope that Erling finds the trophy in the next 3 weeks :?
Cheers
Bob