The UK Dart 15 Association

Towing question

Dart 15 Chat
Jaycb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Towing question

Post by Jaycb »

I've got to tow my newly-acquired Dart 15 from Devon to Sussex this Saturday, but they're talking about the wind being 25mph+ that day...
Is this likely to cause stability problems? I've no intention of driving above 50mph as have never towed before.
Any other gems of towing advice gratefully received :)
Andrew Hannah
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Andrew Hannah »

25 MPH shouldn't be a problem. The boat and gear are light, the centre of gravity is low, and there is little windage.

However, it is worth checking the trailer before you set off. You could ask the seller when he last used it. Has it been left unattended in long grass for some years? Does the trailer have a spare wheel, and is there a spanner that will undo the nuts?

I have recently joined the AA, just in case I have a breakdown.

What club are you joining?
Fading star of the Thorpe Bay fleet
Former rugby player in the extra-B
Struggling musician
Second best cabbage in the village show...
Jaycb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jaycb »

Thanks Andrew. The guy we're buying from has told me he's checked out the wheels & electrics last week. It's been kept on a hard driveway under a tarp.
I've joined the Newhaven & Seaford Sailing Club. We looked at Pevensey Bay as well and it was a close call but we'll see how this year goes I guess then review. We thought about Bewl but it was a bit too far.
How about you?
Charles
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Charles »

Jaycb

Assuming the boat doesn't breakdown to go on the trailer what you will notice is the fact that it's wider than an average family car by quite a few inches. This will seem enormous at first, but is infact probably only an inch or 2 beyond your wing mirrors.

I drive a big MPV so don't have as much of a difference to allow for.

Once you're used to the width the it's no trouble & believe me the regulars on the TT circuit get to events plenty faster than 50 MPH & in some pretty horrendous conditions.

Have fun & although I live in Halifax, W Yorkshire my wife's best friend lives in Eastbourne (parents in Seaford) so if we are down that way I might just take a walk down to the club while the girls go shopping (or other girlie activity) to see if you are around!

Hope to see you at the Nationals & TT events in the not too distant future!
Charles
1942, Ingrid
Halifax SWC
God does not deduct from our allotted life span the time spent sailing (or talking, texting, reading, posting to websites & emailing about it)
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Martin Searle »

Jaycb wrote:<snip>
I've joined the Newhaven & Seaford Sailing Club. We looked at Pevensey Bay as well and it was a close call but we'll see how this year goes I guess then review. We thought about Bewl but it was a bit too far.
How about you?
Jas,

I have added that club to the clubs map page since its a new club for us. So if there are others in the area they'll know where there are other owners to race against. Are there any other 15s there? Looking at the satellite image there does seem to be a few cats there (at least a few years back when that picture was taken).

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Ex Seasalter SC Webmaster
RYA Regional Race Officer (South East Region) (Expired)
RYA Club Race Coach (Expired)
RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor (Expired)
Jaycb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jaycb »

Hi Martin,
I'm not sure about Dart 15s but they apparently have an active Dart 18 fleet.
To be honest I probably won't race in the near future as I'm more often windsurfing when the weather's right, but we'd certainly consider going to one or two of the training events or fun sail-ins that I've seen mentioned on the website/magazine.

Charles - yes, let me know when you're about. I'm often down at Eastbourne myself during the summer.
cedric
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by cedric »

You would have been very welcome to join Pevensey Bay, we are now up to 3 Dart 15's!
Perhaps you will come to the Cat Open at Pevensey Bay Sailing Club, 24th-26th May, see the Sprint 15 events page, and see what it’s like.
Steven Tunnacliffe
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post by Steven Tunnacliffe »

Hi Jaycb

Towing a sprint is no as daunting a task as it seems.
Just allow for the extra width, approx 250mm either side of your car body but that is only about 130mm beyond the width of the mirrors.

The other thing is that you should think ahead about manoeuvres get prepared to pass objects like parked cars, skips etc early as sharp movements exagerate the boat on trailer and the back of the boat will take a different line because the wheels are central, make sure you possition your self in a way that other users are in no doubt about your intentions.

as for speed and wind I tow 2 up quite frequently and 60mph is slow, as cruising the motorway you dont know its there.

last point remember that it is about 20feet long when trailing.

See you round the TT circuit soon I hope
Steve

1959 Forever Young
darth vader
Leading Rate
Leading Rate

Post by darth vader »

To pick up on what Cedric said, You would be welcome to come over and join in our sunday racing. I am sure either of us would be happy to sign you in
Racing very relaxed, ideal for novice. Use your trailer though I wouldnt like to try to round Beachy Head in a Sprint!!!
Jaycb
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jaycb »

Thanks Cedric & Darth for your kind invitations. We may very well join Pevensey club sometime in the future as it's conveniently close to Mandy's parents' home. Do you have much of a windsurfing presence at the club?
We'll certainly consider attending the open, though it has to be said - we're not terribly experienced in racing.
Thanks everyone for your advice - we just got back from Devon after 6 hours of towing and everything went OK apart from a minor electrical connector problem (which we sorted out OK).
I'll hopefully get a chance to rig the boat up for the first time in the next couple of weeks and, all being well, on the water very soon :)
Anyone going to the Ally Pally show in March? Would be nice to put some faces to names.
Cheers.
Erling
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Erling »

Hi Jaycb
We will have a boat at the at the Alexandra Palace, so come and have a chat, we get a lot of 15 sailers that we only see at the show.