The UK Dart 15 Association

Eurocat 2014, Count Down, 6 days to go (European Champ)

Dart 15 Chat
Paul Craft
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Eurocat 2014, Count Down, 6 days to go (European Champ)

Post by Paul Craft »

After speaking to a few people and looking at past posts about Eurocat there seems to be quite a bit of interest in attending this event in 2014.

Firstly Eurocat is the premier European cat event which lasts for 4 days normally around the first week end in May each year in Carnac France.

The following link gives a really good over view of the event. http://www.yachtsandyachting.co.uk/venu ... nue-guide/

The club website is http://www.yccarnac.com/usa/regates/eurocat-2012.html

Having spoken to Brian he is willing to assist by coordinating with Carnac Yacht Club and by speaking to his French importer to see if he can generate some French entries, I have also spoken to Erling who has kindly offered to organise the summer traveller’s series in 2014 either side of the event so they do not clash and Nick was very enthusiastic having sailed there himself a few times.

We would sail in category C4 as unrig or C3 in Sport mode, if we can generate enough entries we might get our own start.

The idea at this stage is to generate some interest and if there is enough I will put together some packages to make organising the trip a lot easier and to enable it to be turned into a family holiday if required.
Nick has suggested if there is enough interest we could spend the remainder of the week exploring the area in our boats or land yachting.

If you are interested please let me know and I will start putting together an information pack and flyer.

Who wants to be the first European champ, I do not think we are allowed to call it this but we can think of something.

Thanks

Paul
Last edited by Paul Craft on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
simon
Captain
Captain

Re: Eurocat 2014 (European Champ)

Post by simon »

Hi Paul

I would be interested in the event, but would take a firmer decision nearer the time depending on work and finances.
Would love to be European Champ but dont think that likely but I can dream.

Spent a lot of time holidaying around the Carnac area, and have made use of the club, great sailing in the Bay of Quiberon although I have only seen it really rough on one occasion.
I know there are plenty of campsites in the area and some within 1/2 mile of the club.

Will watch this thread with interest

Simon 1970
Paul Craft

Post by Paul Craft »

Hi All

Just a quick update

There has been a very positive response to Eurocat 2014 with 8 sailors showing serious interest in attending and the offer of support and help in organising the trip.

With some interest now being shown we have been in contact with Yacht Club Carnac and have opened the discussion about Sprint 15's attending.

We have also made contact with a ferry company to see if we can obtain cheap ferry crossing with some sponsorship.

As soon as we have a response I will let you know.

Has anyone an idea for a class Trophy even if we do not get our own start.

If you’re interested let me know.

Thanks
Paul
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Paul Craft wrote:Hi All

Just a quick update

There has been a very positive response to Eurocat 2014 with 8 sailors showing serious interest in attending and the offer of support and help in organising the trip.

With some interest now being shown we have been in contact with Yacht Club Carnac and have opened the discussion about Sprint 15's attending.

We have also made contact with a ferry company to see if we can obtain cheap ferry crossing with some sponsorship.

As soon as we have a response I will let you know.

Has anyone an idea for a class Trophy even if we do not get our own start.

If you’re interested let me know.

Thanks
Paul
Hi Paul,
It is a great idea. In the days when I could sail I always planned to give it a go sometime.
Putting your email address on a web site like this will attract tons of spam.
Better to ask people to contact you using the private messaging system on this website.
All they do is click on your name and then select the "send private message" option.
Cheers
Bob
Paul Craft

Post by Paul Craft »

Hi Bob

Good call thanks for the advice,

Have you got any ideas for the event.

Cheers

Paul
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

Paul Craft wrote:Hi Bob

Good call thanks for the advice,

Have you got any ideas for the event.

Cheers

Paul
Hi Paul,
Yes - apart from doing the races at Carnac nearby is Le Golfe du Morbihan. This is a large enclosed inland sea which is ideal to explore in a catamaran. This would be an ideal way to spend a few days in a fun cruise with a few boats together. It is a big area. I have not been but some of the early Dart 15 newsletters had reports on it. The best one was in March 1989 which gave a good guide as well as a map. I'll make you a copy if you are interested.
Regards
Bob
George Love
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by George Love »

Hi Paul,
As Bob says, Carnac and surrounding area is a great place - great for the event and great for R&R after.
When my kids were younger we had eight family holidays on the trot taking the 15 with a Topper and surfboards on the top. Easy to get to, lots of things to do and the weather is usually pretty good as it picks up the high pressure which parks itself over Biscay for most of the summer.
I've got a good knowledge of the area if that info might be of use. The Golfe du Morbihan is a great stretch of water cut off from the Atlantic by a narrow channel - like a mini Med. but it's quite tidal. La Trinite sur Mer, next to Carnac has some great campsites and beaches and is home to many of the big ocean racing tri's.
George Love : Fly-by-Wire : 2019
Thomas Sandal
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Thomas Sandal »

Hi
I think it is a great idea and would definitely be interested.
It gives me one dilemme though, should I be representing Denmark or GB :D
Thomas, 1982
Kevin Dutch
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kevin Dutch »

GB of course Thomas! :)
1938 Flying Dutchman
@sprint151938
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Mark Aldridge »

Paul

I'm interested - keep me posted..

Cheers

Mark
Mark Aldridge
Paul Craft

Re: Eurocat 2014 Dates (European Champ)

Post by Paul Craft »

Hi

I have today received an email from Léonie LE CORRE at Yacth Club de Carnac confirming the dates for Eurocat 2014 : 1st May to 4th May.

These dates have been communicated to the ferry and travel companies to see if we can get any special rates.

Put the date in your diary and start planning.

Paul

PS. gutted I missed Seasalter it looked as usual like a great event and with wind
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Mark Aldridge »

Paul Craft wrote: Put the date in your diary and start planning.

OK then dates in the diary so I hope it works out, then my plan is to take a port flyer and thrash the lot of you and the world (well Eurpoe anyway) will be mine!!
Mark Aldridge
Robert
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Robert »

Hi Paul. Can you add me as a distinct possibility, please?
Robert England
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Martin Searle »

I have put up Paul's costings, outline plans etc on the website at:

http://www.sprint15.com/viewarticle.php?id=658

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Ex Seasalter SC Webmaster
RYA Regional Race Officer (South East Region) (Expired)
RYA Club Race Coach (Expired)
RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor (Expired)
simon
Captain
Captain

Post by simon »

Hi Paul

What is the situation on obtaining entry forms and what category are sailing in please and is there any fun days/ trip around the bay for the fifteens.

Simon 1970