The UK Dart 15 Association

Dolphins

Dart 15 Chat
Liam
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dolphins

Post by Liam »

We get the occasional visit from dolphins in Sandown Bay. This is the second time this year that they have joined in the racing but this time Paul Knights was there with his Go Pro.

The video is on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mQdxZtuPDg
2034 - No Quarter, 1957 - Dreadnought, 1709 - Biscuit
Shanklin Sailing Club
Holder of OTT Shield
9th most improved at 2018 Nationals
Derek James
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Re: Dolphins

Post by Derek James »

What a wonderful video ! Best reason ever to sail a Dart 15 in sport mode .....very envious of your sighting !
Derek ( Dray cat ) Sprint 1744
mrblue1991
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by mrblue1991 »

Many moons ago we were sailing at a TT Event at Swanage and a pod of Dolphins where cruising around us as we were racing. On the downwind leg one swam directly between my hulls moving me forward in a surge of speed and passing Erling Holmberg. I still remember the complaints from Erling that I had received outside assistance and should give the place back !!!!! Cheers Paul
Bob Carter
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Bob Carter »

mrblue1991 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:18 pm Many moons ago we were sailing at a TT Event at Swanage and a pod of Dolphins where cruising around us as we were racing. On the downwind leg one swam directly between my hulls moving me forward in a surge of speed and passing Erling Holmberg. I still remember the complaints from Erling that I had received outside assistance and should give the place back !!!!! Cheers Paul
mrblue1991 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:18 pm Yes, I remember that. You could hear him from miles away. Erling was great fun both on the water and off it....
Regards
Bob
PS Nice video
Mark Aldridge
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Mark Aldridge »

mrblue1991 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:18 pm Many moons ago we were sailing at a TT Event at Swanage and a pod of Dolphins where cruising around us as we were racing. On the downwind leg one swam directly between my hulls moving me forward in a surge of speed and passing Erling Holmberg. I still remember the complaints from Erling that I had received outside assistance and should give the place back !!!!! Cheers Paul
2011 - https://dart15.co.uk/events/EMS/event.php?id=60 & we had some proper nights out in Swanage!

The Dolphins were wonderful. I must have fluked a beat or something as was near the front and we'd gone 'out to sea' on the beat. I recall looking over to see Steve S for a Dolphin to rise and be at eye level & within an arms length from me with his mates in between my bows too. Happy days, but a really really miserable sailing club!
Mark Aldridge