The UK Dart 15 Association

Website re-design

Dart 15 Chat
Martin Searle
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Martin Searle »

Liam wrote:I would be interested to know how you get the stats onto the web site.

I didn't want to go through the palaver of using Sailwave and FTP for each race so I wrote my own system that puts the data straight onto a MySQL database. All the maths are done by the server.

It seemed to survive a season's racing without breaking. http://www.shanklinsailingclub.com/series.php

How does it get done on this site?
Ditto, I transfer the event result onto the site and then it works out the series results and generates the stats.

For Nationals the system works out the whole events results with sub-comps (you simply enter in each race results from the ROs sheets of paper) and then uses that data with the stats (its why nationals stats can be a little more detailed with race wins\2nds and 3rds and so on).

For Tophies I had to manually enter all the records upto the first season (2007) that the website took over the result processing, the system now awards trophies when I click a link and updates the stats.

For Seasalter Sailing Club I took the nationals system I wrote for this site (although I only re-used a few bits of the code) and extended it so that it could handle multi boat handicap racing and full ISAF\RYA Rule Book, Appendix A scoring. Then this can then be used to generate the individual stats pages like the one linked too in a previous article. In this case all I enter is the race data provided by the RO, ie Boat sail no, and their finished elapsed time and then the system works out their corrected time and finishing place in the race.

Both use MYSQL dbs.

Martin S.
Ex Sprint 15 Webmaster
Ex Seasalter SC Webmaster
RYA Regional Race Officer (South East Region) (Expired)
RYA Club Race Coach (Expired)
RYA Dinghy Sailing Instructor (Expired)
Duncan Ford
Warrant Officer (Class Two)
Warrant Officer (Class Two)

Website

Post by Duncan Ford »

Martin

As others have said, it is a great website and easy to use, so please don't change that. On the other hand, we should have confidence in your ability to make it even easier and more flexible!

Regarding suggestions, I find the boat database interesting but it would be better if the boats were listed in sail number order. I have suggested it before, so perhaps it isn't easy to do?

Thanks for all your hard work.

Duncan Ford 1973
Frank
Grub Guru
Grub Guru

Post by Frank »

Great to see the old archive pictures popping up on the home page once again, when I clicked on tonight I was greeted with the Whitstable 2002 team Grafham !! :D